Whyte_Rhabit

Feb 7, 2024
Hi all, bit of a weird one in terms of direction with this issue but that's what I need help with, the direction.

I'm using a Proxmox node (love it) just started using Cloud init and VM templates more. I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with what to do about automation in regards to deploying using a vm template and having that guest have ssh access to a repository say Bitbucket. I've researched many methods such as Hashicorp Tools, Sysprep (preseeded) images, some sort of CI/CD pipeline with Bitbucket itself or Jenkins, use of Ansible Controller.

When using cloud init I struggled with getting that to work on a Ubuntu image. I couldn't see a way for this to work without generating keys for example. Is this something I should be doing during the build with ansible? Do any of you guys have an ideas or experience?

I am a keen learner but really want to make sure I go down the right path here, whilst I get it could be any path which do you think is the best for this case scenario and also the shortest route for now in terms of implementation. This is for my own homelab.

Thanks in advance

I’ve been playing around with Proxmox and Cloud Init too, and it can definitely feel a bit overwhelming at first. For setting up SSH access to your Bitbucket repo, I found that using Cloud Init is super helpful. You can configure it to generate SSH keys automatically during the VM creation, which saves a lot of hassle later on. Just make sure to include that in your user-data file. Once you have that down, you can use Ansible to manage configurations, but starting with Cloud Init should streamline things for your homelab.

Yeah I think this is what I'm going to have to do. Sounds good to me will start looking into user-data files. Thanks for your help Ahanae and time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!