attach guest machine to passed-trough NIC

molnart

Jul 30, 2020
I am setting up a new proxmox node on a machine with a 4 port NIC, that I am planning to use (among others) as a router with OPNsense. On my previous setups i have used vmbr bridges without passtrough. Now I have decided i will try to passtrough 3 of the NICs to OPNsense (keeping one for PVE management) for (supposedly) better performance and because it seems that's what a true geek would do.

Now I am trying to figure out how to attach my another VMs to the OPNsense VMs directly. It looks like it's not possible with the passed-trough ports, as they are "blocked" by the OPNsense VM. I could use the management port in theory, if it would be physically connected to a switch that is is physically connected to a passed trough LAN interface, but its not my case (yet).

So am I correct, that to have an interface available for another guest VMs, my only choice is to create a vmbr bridge interface for that port?

WAN, LAN connection to switch and LAN direct connection to my main PC - mostly to utilize the 2.5 Gig connection on both computers (switch is only 1 Gig)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!