Atheros Wireless Speeds

Jun 18, 2020
Hi everyone,

I realize this is a bit outside of the standard use-case for Proxmox, but thought I'd ask here anyway...

I utilize Proxmox heavily in my day job for a variety of tasks. I decided to configure one of my primary workstations (which was already running Debian) utilizing the following guide: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Buster

My goal is full immersion in the Proxmox ecosystem, if I use it at home and work for everything, I become even more familiar with it.

After installation, my wireless speeds tanked. In fact, I need to reboot once after a cold boot before wireless even works at all. The machine I'm attempting to use is a Dell XPS 9380 which has an Atheros QCA6174 (Killer 1435) which utilizes the ath10k firmware. I understand that once installing Proxmox on top of Debian, it replaces the wireless firmware with the pve-firmware package.

The wireless speeds never go above 20 Mbps, but with Debian or a variety of Live USB Linux builds (including Ubuntu), I can easily achieve 100+ Mbps. The other interesting thing is that the speed varies wildly under Proxmox, dropping to 0 or near 0 Mbps with regularity. It feels like this happens when I'm pushing the connection a bit, but this is mostly a gut feel at this point.

I've tried various methods of replacing the firmware files with different versions I've found online to no avail. The situation continues to be the same. I've Googled this and tried everything I can find so far. Would love some additional pointers from anyone who may have run into similar issues, or who may know some additional troubleshooting steps I can take.

I feel like the issue is not the firmware files themselves, due to replacing the Proxmox-provided firmwares with the same versions included in Debian and Ubuntu as part of my testing with similar slow results.

I've suspected something else in the Debian/Proxmox build, but have not been able to determine in my Googling thus far what else aside from Firmware is involved in the wireless driver architecture.

Additionally, I've suspected the possibility of other issues with Proxmox/Linux bridging or otherwise. However, plugging in and configuring a USB ethernet adapter works perfectly and at the expected speeds. (I don't have a USB wireless adapter handy to test with.)

So far, I've not been able to find anything in digging through logs that seem to point to the issue.

Thanks for any pointers in troubleshooting!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!