[SOLVED] (?) at network storages (Proxmox Backup f.e.)

nicedevil

Aug 5, 2021
Hey guys,

have a small problem on a friends environment, I have created a complete new Proxmox cluster on his site with 2 nodes. One of them was his old server that was hosting everything, Yes a virtualized ProxmoxBackup as well (I know that it is not recommended, but no separate hardware for that). Unfortunately it is only connected correctly on the old server in the cluster and not on the new one.

The new server got local CA and the trust store was updated, then a local cert was added (signed by the CA ofc).
I tried removing the backup datastore and readding it again. It stays the same, only available on the old store.

I also tried the update part for Certs on proxmox itself with "pvecm updatecerts --force" (if this was an issue? dont know for sure)
Is there a log regarding the storages?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-28 224829.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-28 224829.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 9
Hi,
always on the node, where it shows the question mark: do you get an error when you run pvesm status? Can you ping the virtual PBS from that node?

Hi,
always on the node, where it shows the question mark: do you get an error when you run pvesm status? Can you ping the virtual PBS from that node?

Hi fiona,

on pvesm status all external storages are marked as "inactive".
I'm able to ping PBS, I can do telnet IPADRESS 8007 to the PBS and I can ssh to the PBS from the node that is not working.

on pvesm status all external storages are marked as "inactive".
Is there any error message? Can you share the journal from the current boot: journalctl -b > /tmp/boot.log?

Is there any error message? Can you share the journal from the current boot: journalctl -b > /tmp/boot.log?
I can share, but we have to wait a couple of hours until I'm back home ;), will edit this post with the output.
On the pvesm status there are entries for the PBS share with the "default" 500 error that it can't connect to it.

@fiona
Ok this is the output (same as on pvesm status in my opinion:

Bash:
Jan 29 17:34:37 pve01 pvestatd[1065]: backup: error fetching datastores - 500 Can't connect to 192.10.10.251:8007

Can you share the output of /etc/pve/storage.cfg? Does running
Code:
proxmox-backup-client version --repository 192.10.10.251:<name of your datastore>
work?

Reactions: nicedevil
Can you share the output of /etc/pve/storage.cfg? Does running
Code:
proxmox-backup-client version --repository 192.10.10.251:<name of your datastore>
work?

here we go... something with cert

Bash:
root@pve01:~# proxmox-backup-client version --repository 192.10.10.251:backup
Password for "root@pam": ########################
certificate validation failed - context depth != 0
could not connect to server - error trying to connect: error:0A000086:SSL routines:tls_post_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed:../ssl/statem/statem_clnt.c:1889:
client version: 3.1.2

storage.cfg (removed unneccessary parts):

Bash:
pbs: backup
        datastore backup
        server 192.10.10.251
        content backup
        encryption-key ########################
        prune-backups keep-all=1
        username root@pam

EDIT: I guess I found the issue... my friend didn't paste the --------------END CERTIFICATE---------------- for trusting the local CA.....
Tadaaaaaaaaaa

1706610509628.png

Last edited:
EDIT: I guess I found the issue... my friend didn't paste the --------------END CERTIFICATE---------------- for trusting the local CA.....
Tadaaaaaaaaaa
Glad you were able to figure it out :)!

Please edit the thread (button above first post) and select the SOLVED prefix. This helps other users find solutions more quickly.

Reactions: nicedevil

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!