Assign USB Dongle to an already running VM via PVE web gui

nockdown

Jun 9, 2021
Is there way to assign USB Dongle to an already running VM without stop and start VM via PVE web gui?

I'm trying to do this with such actions:
0) Hotplug was already activated for USB for this VM in its options.
1) login to PVE web gui
2) navigate to Datacenter -> node/cluster name -> Virtual Machine
3) click on Hardware
4) click on Add button
5) click on USB Device from drop down menu
6) select the correct USB Dongle to passthrough (don't use USB3)
7) click on Add button to save the changes

But as I understand, such method is working only after stopping VM and starting VM.

PS Virtual Environment 6.4-4

Last edited:
You could pass through the enitre USB card. That would allow hotplug support but no other VM would be able to use USB devices. Go to hardware PCI and add your usb device remember to turn IOMMU on

You could pass through the enitre USB card. That would allow hotplug support but no other VM would be able to use USB devices. Go to hardware PCI and add your usb device remember to turn IOMMU on
Thank you very much for reply!
I have two VM which require to use USB dongles. All USB dongles is plugged into one USB hub to the host. Some USB dongles are assigned to the first VM, and others USB dongles to the second VM. As I understand your method will not allow the second VM use any USB dongles. Do I understand you properly?

And what is meaning of "Hotplug for USB" in VM options? :rolleyes: If plugging of USB dongles is working only after stop and start VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!