Assign public IP to a VM inside EVPN lan

skukunin

Aug 20, 2024
Hello here. I hope to get a help with my setup. I'm trying to move one by one to keep the complexity handled.

So far I have a cluster of three nodes (bare metal). Each node has only single NIC with assigned /29 network to it. So each node can have up to 5 IP addresses.
They communicate over public IP (1-2 hops between nodes)

I plan to host client VMs and each client should have each own private independent network. I accomplished this by running an EVPN controller and having VNet per client. It works fine. Also, for each vnet I launch a simple VM with dnsmasq to serve as a DHCP server.

Overall it works fine. The only little change I had to do is static routes to the peer nodes in /etc/network/interfaces:

Code:
post-up ip route add 63.141.x.x/32 via 69.197.x.x
post-up ip route add 63.141.x.x/32 via 69.197.x.x

Now, I have a question: how can I assign a public IP address to a specific client VM? Do I do it with firewall or via FRR? Do I assign an extra NIC to the VM? I gathered a setup of requirements:

* Ability to dedicate a public IP to a VM, so all requests to the IP goes directly to VM
* VM might be hosted on another node (since we have VXLan, should be good)
* All outgoing traffic from the VM should be as dedicated IP. curl http://ifconfig.me/ip should show the assigned IP

Before I starting re-inventing the wheel, are there straightforward solutions? Is there a known keyword to search for? I believe a separate NIC wouldn't work because of the second requirement - VM might be on a different node. Also I'm afraid I need to tickle with DHCP and default gateway, so outgoing traffic comes from that IP.

Overall, it looks like AWS Elastic IP assignment to EC2 instances.

Also, I don't know if it matters. But VMs can ping each other even if they are on different nodes, but node A can't ping VMs hosted on the other nodes (only hosted on node A).

So far, my SDN config looks like this:

Code:
root@nocix-kz-1:/home/customer# cat /etc/pve/sdn/*
evpn: primary
    asn 65000
    peers 69.197.xxx.xx,63.141.xxx.xx,63.141.xxx.xxx

subnet: primary-10.1.0.0-22
    vnet platform
    gateway 10.1.0.1
    snat 1

vnet: platform
    zone primary
    tag 101

evpn: primary
    controller primary
    vrf-vxlan 100
    exitnodes nocix-kz-3,nocix-kz-2,nocix-kz-1
    ipam pve
    mac BC:24:11:3A:B9:6E

Thank you for attention

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!