Assign a NIC card to a specific VM and use another NIC as internal LAN [pfSense]

C

cletus8

Hello everyone!!

I have finally decided to install ProxMox on my box. By now, i just want to have pfSense and CentOS virtualized on the box.
pfSense will be running as firewall obviously, plus DHCP / NAT (it will act as a router).
CentOS will be running apache, bittorrent, and some extra applications.

I want pfsense to be directly connected to the internet (one of the NICs, eth0, will be connected to the modem). And Centos to have a private IP address leased by the pfsense's DHCP server.
Also, i want the eth1 to be the internal network NIC. it will be connected to a switch and the hosts connected to that switch will get their IP addresses through DHCP (pfsense server).

I made a little schema of what i want to accomplish. I hope its understandable:
b7idj6.png

The problem is that i have NO idea of how to configure proxmox.
Could you help me? :D

I think that you only need two bridges, one is created at the intalation vmbr0 , you can create the other vmbr1. Than you can assossiate eache bridge with a different NIC. Like (vmbr0-eth0) and (vmbr0-eth1). Next go to the vms configuration and associate each NIC from the correct vmbr. PFSense WAN NIC=bridge with vmbr0, LAN NIC=vmbr1. CentOS LAN NIC=vmbr1.

I personally would say you need to get yourself into using VLANS as this type of setup becomes much easier to achieve.

But yes.. as per previous post, you will need two bridges.

im not sure pfsense will work on proxmox, since it based on freebsd

i've try many times install freebsd on proxmox without success

you can use clearos, ebox, ipfire or any other linux firewall for replacing pfsense

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!