Assign a bluetooth dongle to a CT

Possible

Mar 25, 2020
Hello.

I have setup Proxmox now. I Have installed and setetp a CT (Ubuntu server template) .

Now to get a program what i am using to work, I need to have access to a BD Dongle.

lsusb is showing the BT device:

Code:
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0451:16a8 Texas Instruments, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 Serial (UART) IC
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

How can I access the BD dongle ( Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 ) to a CT?

hcitool scan shows:

Code:
Device is not available: Address family not supported by protocol

When i setup a VM and assigned the USB device ID the the VM, it is working fine.. But I want to use a CT due the resources.

This was extensively discussed in our german forum (link), here's the gist of it:

Bluetooth devices register themselves as a network interface, so passing through the USB /dev node is useless. Sadly, the BT network adapter is not namespaceable, meaning it can't be assigned to a container the way regular network interfaces can.

So in essence, it's highly likely that you're use-case will not work the way you envision it. I suggest just using a VM, with KVM and ballooning configured a VM is pretty lightweight too these days.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!