ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM2115 SATA 6Gb/s bridge works on host, but inside guests

monery

May 12, 2019
Hello,
I am trying to mount a 3TB hdd via USB using above mentioned ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM2115 SATA 6Gb/s bridge connected via 1 of two usb 3 ports on the host. When drive is connected to host, i can see the drive controller listed with lsusb, and its drive it hosts via lsblk. When trying to do the same thing after sharing out the usb3 port to a guest os, the controller is seen, but not the disk. Shared on usb2, this works fine. The only other usb 3 disk i have is a 32GB sandisk, and it works quite fine. I am not sure how to proceed from here. If anyone has suggestions on how to correct this, I'd be appreciative. If you would like to get additional information from me, please also include where i can find this infomation. I am very new to proxmox as well as VM hosting so also please don't assume I am doing anything right

Regards

I am trying to mount a 3TB hdd via USB using above mentioned ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM2115 SATA 6Gb/s bridge connected via 1 of two usb 3 ports on the host. When drive is connected to host, i can see the drive controller listed with lsusb, and its drive it hosts via lsblk. When trying to do the same thing after sharing out the usb3 port to a guest os, the controller is seen, but not the disk. Shared on usb2, this works fine. The only other usb 3 disk i have is a 32GB sandisk, and it works quite fine. I am not sure how to proceed from here. If anyone has suggestions on how to correct this, I'd be appreciative. If you would like to get additional information from me, please also include where i can find this infomation. I am very new to proxmox as well as VM hosting so also please don't assume I am doing anything right

I've checked it with a similar SATA bridge from ASMedia and it works without any problem.

What I've experienced in general (independent from VMs) when using USB3 with disks a potential problem is always the power.
I would try it with different guest OS-es, in case of Linux you can check
Code:
lspci | grep USB
lsusb
lsusb -t

I've checked it with a similar SATA bridge from ASMedia and it works without any problem.

What I've experienced in general (independent from VMs) when using USB3 with disks a potential problem is always the power.
I would try it with different guest OS-es, in case of Linux you can check
Power? as in electricity? If so, the device is externally powered. The usb is not supplying any power for the logic board or the drive.

I have tried other guest OS's with the same result. USB3 shows the controller, but according to the guest vm's there is no hdd attached unless the port being used USB2. The device is currently configured as I was hoping for, except not working. I have included the output of the 3 commands that you included in your reply :)

lspci | grep USB
00:01.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 USB [Natoma/Triton II] (rev 01)
01:1b.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 03)

lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 174c:1153 ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM2115 SATA 6Gb/s bridge
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0627:0001 Adomax Technology Co., Ltd
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

lsusb -t
/: Bus 03.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=uhci_hcd/2p, 12M
|__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 12M
/: Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/4p, 5000M
|__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=, 5000M
/: Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/4p, 480M

I have tried other guest OS's with the same result. USB3 shows the controller, but according to the guest vm's there is no hdd attached unless the port being used USB2. The device is currently configured as I was hoping for, except not working. I have included the output of the 3 commands that you included in your reply :)

Yes, correct. Seems to be a problem specifically of that Hardware - USB interface or USB device; since it's working directly at the host it's rather the interface. If possible, try it with a different server hardware. If the problem persists it may be specific for the USB device - as already mentioned I don't have exactly the same, but I'll try it out with different servers, adapters and disks.

If possible, try it with a different server hardware.
Sadly I cannot test it any further on my end. When I am able to obtain some additional, I'd like to try a smaller disk and see if the enclosure will work as well as another Proxmox box and see if the problem continues. Until then, should we close this post and mark it as partially compatible? If there is any additional information I can provide to Proxmox, please let me know. I'd be happy to assist further.

Regards
Monery

Sadly I cannot test it any further on my end. When I am able to obtain some additional, I'd like to try a smaller disk and see if the enclosure will work as well as another Proxmox box and see if the problem continues. Until then, should we close this post and mark it as partially compatible? If there is any additional information I can provide to Proxmox, please let me know. I'd be happy to assist further.

Feel free to add new information to this thread whenever you like. There are no special formal rules.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!