ASM1166 not detected on proxmox 7.4 with 5.15 or 5.19

ZZZXXXTTT

Sep 12, 2022
Hi,

I am new to the forum, so apologies in advance for possible mistakes I might have done here.

I built a little machine last year with MSI B550M mortar, 3900x, and a 1080ti for passthrough. everything works great with more than a dozen of vms and containers running various tasks including having 2 nic, 5-6 disks, and the GPU being passthrough to different guests. It works great with two other PVE nodes I have.

However, as I was running out of SATA connectors, I wanted to add a SATA controller to the bottom x16 slot (from the chipset) to connect some hard disks. I ended up ordering the ASM1166 chip powered 3.0 x2 card with 6 SATA interfaces since performance is really not something I care about at all, and this machine is only going to be used by me.

As mentioned in the title, this card was not detected. I then upgraded the kernel to 5.19 and still no dice.

I can confirm that this works, as I plugged this card into another node running Ubuntu 22 (5.19) and it was able to see the ASM1166 in lspci -- then I booted into proxmox with 5.19 kernel version, but still nothing -- I even have the entire display locks out and not usable.

Does anyone know what I can do at this point?

Thanks.

I can confirm that this works, as I plugged this card into another node running Ubuntu 22 (5.19) and it was able to see the ASM1166 in lspci -- then I booted into proxmox with 5.19 kernel version, but still nothing -- I even have the entire display locks out and not usable.
Try the newer optional kernel? Especially because the Proxmox kernel 5.19 does not get updates nor security fixes!
Note that you are using PCI(e) passthrough and adding (or removing) PCI(e) devices can change the PCI IDs of other PCI(e) devices (usually by +-1). You might be binding the ASM1166 to vfio-pci and passing through the wrong devices to VMs. Maybe the "not detected" and "entire display locks out" are because you are starting VMs with passthrough without checking the new PCI IDs first?

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely try the new kernel!

And sadly I did a brand new proxmox install on this very machine (clean without any VM or containers) to *ACTUALLY re-organize the services I am running on this machine as it is getting a bit redundant and I don't want to spend time fixing everything

Will definitely post the result after the kernel update.

An unexpected update -- found out why it was not working the most dramatic way possible:

I did not realize I left the 2nd NVME drive in the chipset slot, resulting in me not being able to activate the bottom x16 slot.

took out the SSD, and fixed it.

Still, thank you for the update tho.

however, I still cannot figure out why it also won't display the card in my minis forum b550 elite box -- possibly also due to the population of all storage slots?

Reactions: rob4ik

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!