Client name: rpi
Starting backup protocol: Thu Dec 28 19:23:30 2023
Error: permission check failed.

Suggestion?
Thank you

your acess on the pbs is not correct
you probably forget the permission for the API token

thank for your response

can you please better explain where I have to manage on pbs?

you create API token for this client ? i hope :)
then go to : Configuration => access control => Permissions
then add API token permissions to authorize this clien to backup in your datastore

i usually give DatastoreBackup role
Datastore.Backup
Datastore.Backup allows a user create new backup snapshots and also provides the privileges of Datastore.Read and Datastore.Verify, but only if the backup group is owned by the user or one of its tokens.

running Backup for rpi ...
Starting backup: host/rpi/2023-12-28T20:39:08Z
Client name: rpi
Starting backup protocol: Thu Dec 28 21:39:09 2023
No previous manifest available.
Upload directory '/share' to 'root@pam!rpi@pbs.home.lan:8007:nvm' as root.pxar.didx

GOT IT!
Thank You very much!

i'm a little confused, if my rpi is running 5.10.103-v7l+ which arm client am I supposed to use (i only see 64bit and i think 5.10.103-v7l+ is 32 bit?)

--edit--
oh i see i am supposed to use the old 1.1.9
is it better to back up a pi just files or as block device?

Last edited:
i'm a little confused, if my rpi is running 5.10.103-v7l+ which arm client am I supposed to use (i only see 64bit and i think 5.10.103-v7l+ is 32 bit?)

--edit--
oh i see i am supposed to use the old 1.1.9
As PBS isn`t officially supporting ARM SoCs you better ask the third-party-creator that created that arm port.
is it better to back up a pi just files or as block device?
Depends...
When only backing up files you will have to install and configure your linux again.
As block device you got everything and can simply restore it to get a fully working linux. But that backup then probably will be quite outdated, as you shouldn't backup your block device while its filesystems are mounted (so the OS on it shouldn't be booted but booting from Debian OS with backup client on another disk/stick).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!