apt resolving to wrong pve-headers instead of proxmox-headers on PVE 8.2

Jul 26, 2023
DE
Hi team,

i'm trying to install the broadcom niccli in order to run firmware updates.
Installing the required sliff leads to installing wrong headers (@jsterr - this is probably what leads to the "known issues" on https://www.thomas-krenn.com/de/wiki/Installation_NICCLI_unter_Proxmox_VE)

This is on latest PVE 8.2.2 with kernel 6.8.4-3-pve:

apt tries to install pve-headers-6.1 pve-headers-6.1.10-1-pve
but shouldn't that somehow resolve to proxmox-headers-6.8?

I guess there is some outdated metadata within apt packages somewhere?
Note - this is a completely fresh 8.2 installation, not upgraded from anything previous!

Code:
apt install ./sliff-dkms_229.0.150.0_all.deb
The following additional packages will be installed:
  build-essential cpp cpp-12 dkms dpkg-dev fakeroot g++ g++-12 gcc gcc-12 libabsl20220623 libalgorithm-diff-perl libalgorithm-diff-xs-perl libalgorithm-merge-perl libaom3 libasan8
  libatomic1 libavif15 libc-dev-bin libc-devtools libc6-dev libcc1-0 libcrypt-dev libdav1d6 libde265-0 libdeflate0 libdpkg-perl libfakeroot libfile-fcntllock-perl libgav1-1 libgcc-12-dev
  libgd3 libgomp1 libheif1 libisl23 libitm1 libjbig0 liblerc4 liblsan0 libmpc3 libmpfr6 libnsl-dev libquadmath0 librav1e0 libstdc++-12-dev libsvtav1enc1 libtiff6 libtirpc-dev libtsan2
  libubsan1 libwebp7 libx265-199 libxpm4 libyuv0 linux-libc-dev lsb-release make manpages-dev pve-headers-6.1 pve-headers-6.1.10-1-pve rpcsvc-proto

Reactions: jsterr
yeah i seen that on another thread already, i think its exactly how you say, someone forgot to update the meta.

but if you install proxmox-headers-6.8 before dkms, will it still try to install pve-headers 6.1?
however, for the issue itself, you can remove the 6.1 headers afterwards i think, or at least you just waste some space, till someone from proxmox fixes that.

yeah i seen that on another thread already, i think its exactly how you say, someone forgot to update the meta.

but if you install proxmox-headers-6.8 before dkms, will it still try to install pve-headers 6.1?
however, for the issue itself, you can remove the 6.1 headers afterwards i think, or at least you just waste some space, till someone from proxmox fixes that.

yes, i can confirm - if you run "apt install proxmox-headers-6.8" first, then it will not download the wrong pve-headers on installing sliff/dkms/niccli.

The Proxmox team will probably easily figure out what's carrying the outdated pve-headers metadata ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!