Apply Traffic Rules to a mounted CIFS Datastore

workpush

Feb 6, 2023
Hello,

I have a CIFS mounted Datastore from Hetzner, a Storage Box. It is mounted over a FQDN "XXX-sub1.your-storagebox.de"
Behind it there is 1 ipv4 and 1 ipv6 address:
Code:
> $ host XXX-sub1.your-storagebox.de                                      
XXX-sub1.your-storagebox.de has address 167.235.XXX.XXX
XXX-sub1.your-storagebox.de has IPv6 address 2a01:4f8:XXX:XXX::2

It is mounted in fstab with the following entry:
Code:
//XXX-sub1.your-storagebox.de/XXX-sub1 /mnt/hetzner-storagebox-cifs cifs seal,noperm,iocharset=utf8,rw,credentials=/etc/hetzner-storagebox-credentials.txt,file_mode=0660,dir_mode=0770 0 0

Because it is hosted in the internet, I want to apply traffic rules, so the other users are not so slowed down, during the working day.
That's why I added a traffic rule with the fixed network address-range:
Code:
167.235.XXX.XXX/32, 2a01:4f8:XXX:XXX::2/128

But somehow it doesn't apply the rule, but if I do:
Code:
0.0.0.0/0, ::/0
at least some traffic is regulated.

1. Do you have an idea, why my first approach does not seem to work? Any ideas?
2. Hetzner is telling in it's documentation that the IP behind the storagebox FQDN XXX-sub1.your-storagebox.de might change from time to time. Do you know, if I also can configure the FQDN instead of the network IPs itself? I just received an answer by them, that they can't tell me the network-addressblock of the "Storage Box"-Service.
3. What is the difference between Rate in/out and Burst in/out? Couldn't find anything mentioned in the documentation about "Burst in/out".

Thank you!!

Last edited:
do you mean the built-in traffic control? if yes, that only limits traffic going over the pbs api, not the complete traffic on the host.
for that i'd look into 'tc' (see 'man tc' or google 'linux traffic control' for more info)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!