Any other causes of a graceful reboot?

adamb

Famous Member
Mar 1, 2012
One of our clients systems (3 node Proxmox 5.1) gracefully rebooted yesterday mid day and we aren't quite sure why. Its a HP DL 380 Gen10 that has been in place for a bit over 6 months.

Am I correct in thinking that the watchdog would never do a graceful restart? In the logs we saw the VM get shutdown (VM freeze) before proxmox restarted. Usually anytime watchdog kicks in its a hard shutdown and the VM will get moved over to the other node.

Am I correct in thinking that the watchdog would never do a graceful restart?
You are right. A watchdog usually resets the machine.

My suspicion is that someone or some external management tooling issued reboot commands by accident?

Btw. you should consider upgrading your cluster. PVE 5.x will be EOL in July https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/FAQ

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!