Any donwnsides to not using vlan aware bridges with vlans?

mailinglists

Renowned Member
Mar 14, 2012
Hi,

on some network cards, vlans do _not_ work, unless I disable vlan aware bridge option.
Because it always works, if I disable it, and I'm tired of testing this over and over, I wonder are there any downsides to not making bridge vlan aware and let PM create new bridge for every vlan. Do you see any downsides, I don't?

Hi,

on some network cards, vlans do _not_ work, unless I disable vlan aware bridge option.
Because it always works, if I disable it, and I'm tired of testing this over and over, I wonder are there any downsides to not making bridge vlan aware and let PM create new bridge for every vlan. Do you see any downsides, I don't?
no, no problem.

indeed, some card don't support more than X vlans, and this is not working fine with vlan-aware bridge. (mellanox connect-x3 for example).
(just curious, what is your non working card model ?)

While I like not having to define each and every VLAN on the host side (a reason why I like VLAN-aware bridges) on my end I've run into issues with Intel "Fortville" based adapters (i.e. X710 family and OEM cards) as described here: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2569

It looks like those cards cannot enable VLAN offloading for 4096 VLANs, so you either limit the amount of VLAN IDs, or you could possibly also disable VLAN offloading. In my case, the range of VLANs is pretty much within a certain range so i.e. I've added "bridge-vids 2-200" in /etc/network/interfaces on the bridge where the Intel 10G nics are part of. I don' know what exact amount of VLANs those cards support, but I can confirm that the issue was still present with a VLAN range of 1-300 but not 1-200 which is plenty of space within our VLAN concept.

Reactions: mailinglists

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!