Android emulator inside Windows Guest VM Slow

nikosc

Dec 10, 2019
I have a guest windows VM inside proxmox with gpu passthrough. My cpu is i5 4570. I also enabled nested virtualization. Android emulator with HAXM is very slow. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Make sure you're HAXM emulator is actually using hardware virtualization support. Maybe something related to Hyper-V, Windows is often quite sensitive when it comes to other emulators.

Also, nested virtualization is by definition going to be slower than single-level virt or bare metal, just keep that in mind.

I also enabled nested virtualization.
By setting the CPU to host? Just to be clear what you mean.

Hi, I have exactly the same problem.

HAXM is installed.

x86 image starts successfully, I see Google logo, then there's a tiny grey loading bar beneath the logo and after that, it freezes.
I tried to wait for about a half-hour with no luck.

Bash:
$ cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested
Y

Code:
$ cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/104.conf

bootdisk: ide0
cores: 4
cpu: host
ide0: local:104/vm-104-disk-0.qcow2,size=64G
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 16384
name: virt5win10
net0: virtio=02:00:00:9f:e4:9e,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
ostype: win10
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=e21fca02-a17e-4441-8d3f-bdc84ca1f860
sockets: 1

Please open a new thread the next time instead of bumping a half-year old one.

As mentioned in my previous post, did you check Windows Hyper-V settings? Enabling or disabling even can help other emulators on Windows run.

Thank you for the hint. Hyper-V was disabled. Unfortunately after enabling and restarting I'm having the same result.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!