AMD vs Intel Performance

Hi there. I would like to know if there is someone that has posted about the above mentioned question. We have to buy a new server for the company and i would like to go with ProxMox and not VMWare, so I would like to know which is better for Virtualization under Proxmox. Maybe some of you ProxMox Gurus can post system configs that you are using currently.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated

Thank you

So that system has 4 separate servers in it each with its own physical CPU and RAM? how do they link up with the HDDs?
We have to get a server for Lorge-Accpac and they suggest the following:
Windows 2008 Server R2
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2
Xeon Quad Core
32GB
ODBC driver for SQL Server database
Raid 10 with 4 – Hard Drives 15K RPM
Raid Controller
Backup Hardware and Software
UPS
Will i be able to run that as a VM on proxmox.

Thanks for the advice

We have something similar. We have Dell C6100 with Xeon L55xx + 96GB RAM per node and 2 x 250GB SSD HD in RAID 1 connected to our SSD SAN. All of our gear is Intel Xeon. We have a few of the supermicro clouds as well

Hi there. I would like to know if there is someone that has posted about the above mentioned question. We have to buy a new server for the company and i would like to go with ProxMox and not VMWare, so I would like to know which is better for Virtualization under Proxmox. Maybe some of you ProxMox Gurus can post system configs that you are using currently.

Thank you

I guess ultimately it depends what you are going to be doing?

I have 2 Dell R415s with Dual 8 core 3.0GHz Opterons and 32GB and they are speedy but its the SAN that slows eveything down...

Adrian,

Each server has 1 bank of 3 drives, so each column of drives corresponds to a module. They have their own ram and cpus. The only thing that's shared is the power supplies but any 1 PSU can power all 4 machines.

Thank you

I have 3 HP Gen8s with 64 gig/dual 12 core AMD procs attached to scale computing 48 TB iscsi. They don't yet break a sweat.

I'm pretty happy. I have in the past used a mix of intel and amd. I always felt my amd boxes ran better... BYMMV.

Proxmox user for almost 2 years.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!