AMD THREADRIPPER - Proxmox VM's Won't Start

CryptoVibe

Mar 26, 2023
I just got a Lenovo Thinkstation P620 AMD Threadripper PRO 5945WX, 512GB 2666 RAM with two Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB SSD's. I installed Proxmox 8.0-2 & can access Proxmox. I am unable to get any of the VM's to start though. I don't see a ThreadRipper as an option for the CPU when creating a new VM. I have tried every AMD CPU option in the drop down though, without any luck. I have IOMMU & SR-IOV enabled in the BIOS. In the VM setup, I have tried SeaBIOS & OVMF.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I've been searching for a solution since yesterday without any luck yet.

Last edited:
I just got a Lenovo Thinkstation P620 AMD Threadripper PRO 5945WX, 512GB 2666 RAM with two Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB SSD's. I installed Proxmox 8.0-2 & can access Proxmox. I am unable to get any of the VM's to start though. I don't see a ThreadRipper as an option for the CPU when creating a new VM. I have tried every AMD CPU option in the drop down though, without any luck. I have IOMMU & SR-IOV enabled in the BIOS.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I've been searching for a solution since yesterday without any luck yet.
Hi,
you can use the CPU type host to expose most of your CPUs features to the VM. I assume however that the CPU type is not the underlying problem which stops your VM from starting. What is the exact error you get?

Please share the full VM start task log, your VM config qm config <VMID> --current and your storage config cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg.

How and what OS did you install inside of the VM? What iso did you use?

Thank you for the fast reply!

This is the error "Error: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1"

I have tried all the CPU types, I was going through them again now, which is why its on EPYC. I will try HOST again now though.

I am trying TrueNAS again now, but I tried Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop & Server, as well as a Windows 10 Pro yesterday too. I used the iso's that I've been using for the other Proxmox nodes I have. There are two of them in this cluster, both are Dell R720XD's for Chia Farming. Both are working fine. I always get the iso's from the source site as a URL download.

Thank you,

1698998676463.png

I have added this to the host also.

nano /etc/default/grub
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet amd_iommu=on"
update-grub

nano /etc/kernel/cmdline
amd_iommu=on
proxmox-boot-tool refresh

nano /etc/modules
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd

echo "options vfio_iommu_type1 allow_unsafe_interrupts=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/iommu_unsafe_interrupts.conf
echo "options kvm ignore_msrs=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/kvm.conf
echo "blacklist radeon" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
echo "blacklist nouveau" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
echo "blacklist nvidia" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

echo "options vfio-pci ids=10de:24b0,10de:228b,10de:2489,10de:228b disable_vga=1"> /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf
update-initramfs -u

This is what I am getting with CPU type set to host:

1698999239647.png

1698999367808.png

Last edited:
I just tried another VM, I added this that was new:

nano /etc/kernel/cmdline
amd_iommu=on
proxmox-boot-tool refresh

I made sure all the other commands were entered correctly & then I tried creating a new Ubuntu desktop & the VM came up & allowed me to start setting up a new VM, so I shut that down & I am trying to restore another VM that I had already configured. I'm hoping this works... Maybe my notes here will help someone else.

1699000180388.png

I tried a few more combination of things & finally got one of the VM's I restored from the R720 Proxmox nodes to this new Threadripper node & it just came up. I also turned off md-clear & aes. I have those turned on with the R720's that have Intel CPU's, but perhaps they were an issue with this AMD system:

1699001531922.png

1699001567612.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!