AMD Threadripper CPU supported?

fkn4k

Jun 24, 2019
hi proxmox team

i want to install on my homelab proxmox. i have there a amd threadripper 2950x cpu with 16 cores / 32 threads. did you know if kvm is support this type of cpu?

regards
franco

Yes, Threadripper is supported by Proxmox.

The only thing known to be tricky (though not impossible) with these CPUs is PCI(e) passthrough. If you don't need that, you're fine.

does this also still apply for the new v6 of Proxmox?
a) being supported well and
b) doing any pci[e]-passthroughs to be not working easily?

need to think about a possible solution for a client and right now a Threadripper 2950X would fit the job quite well.

Yes, the kernel included in PVE 6 is newer and has even better support for Ryzen/Threadripper CPUs. Internally we are using some EPYC servers for testing, and they are working wonderfully.

As far as I can tell, even PCIe passthrough is working without issues now on Threadripper/EPYC.

Reactions: Toxik
Yes, the kernel included in PVE 6 is newer and has even better support for Ryzen/Threadripper CPUs. Internally we are using some EPYC servers for testing, and they are working wonderfully.

As far as I can tell, even PCIe passthrough is working without issues now on Threadripper/EPYC.

exactly because of newer kernel i was hoping for better support of these AMD beast. ;-)
thx. for your infos.

What are the reasons why I should use Epyc CPU instead of Threadripper? Threadripper is much lower price (I can even have a 12 core for less money than an Epyc 8 core) and has higher single core performance: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-EPYC-7251-8-Core-vs-AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-2920X/3196vs3354
Only drawbacks I can see are 64 vs 128 PCIe lanes, higher TDP and that there are very few Threadripper server mainboards out there.

EDIT: Threadripper apparantly only supports 128 GB RAM.

Last edited:
Yes, Threadripper is supported by Proxmox.

The only thing known to be tricky (though not impossible) with these CPUs is PCI(e) passthrough. If you don't need that, you're fine.

Works fine on 2920x for HBA and GPU... No problems found with x399D8-2at with ECC

Reactions: Toxik

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!