AMD Ryzen 5 5560U Passthrough

pjgm

Sep 6, 2024
I have recently bought a Beelink SER5 with a 5560U and I have been trying to passthrough its iGPU to a Windows 11 VM.

After some research I found this Ryzen 7000 series github guide which I carefully followed.
In the end I was able to boot into windows but no matter what I tweaked I was unable to get over the apparently very common code 43. I was unable to troubleshoot further on windows as i couldn't get more detail to what was the root cause of the failure (event viewer only shows very generic error messages).

Steps I followed up until now

Discovering PCI IDs & device numbers

Bash:
# lspci -nn | grep -e 'AMD/ATI'
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cezanne [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] [1002:1638] (rev c3)
04:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Renoir Radeon High Definition Audio Controller [1002:1637]
This means that, in my case:

GPU PCI ID: 0000:04:00.0
GPU device numbers: 1002:1638
Audio PCI ID: 0000:04:00.1
Audio device numbers: 1002:1637

Enable IOMMU
Tried different options but right now this is what I have in /etc/default/grub
Bash:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet iommu=pt initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init video=efifb:off"

/etc/modules
Bash:
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd
vendor-reset

/etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf
Bash:
options vfio-pci ids=1002:1638,1002:1637
softdep radeon pre: vfio-pci
softdep amdgpu pre: vfio-pci
softdep snd_hda_intel pre: vfio-pci

After rebooting and running lspci -nnk:
Bash:
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cezanne [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] [1002:1638] (rev c3)
        Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cezanne [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] [1002:0123]
        Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci
        Kernel modules: amdgpu
04:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Renoir Radeon High Definition Audio Controller [1002:1637]
        Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Renoir Radeon High Definition Audio Controller [1002:1637]
        Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci
        Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

Windows VM
/etc/pve/qemu-server/101.conf
Bash:
agent: 1
args: -cpu 'host,-hypervisor,kvm=off'
balloon: 0
bios: ovmf
boot: order=sata0;ide2;net0
cores: 6
cpu: host
efidisk0: local-lvm:vm-101-disk-0,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=4M
hostpci0: 0000:04:00.0,pcie=1,romfile=vbios_7xxx.bin
hostpci1: 0000:04:00.1,pcie=1,romfile=AMDGopDriver.rom
ide2: none,media=cdrom
machine: pc-q35-9.0
memory: 9000
meta: creation-qemu=9.0.2,ctime=1725607606
name: Windows11
net0: e1000=BC:24:11:E4:DC:75,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: win11
sata0: local-lvm:vm-101-disk-1,size=100G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=6bbb64ce-4fef-4936-8d55-049dadf10b54
sockets: 1
tpmstate0: local-lvm:vm-101-disk-2,size=4M,version=v2.0
vmgenid: 4343811c-4c0d-46f6-acd8-f625b133cc3d
vga: none

After this I had no issues following the next steps:
  • Extracted the VBIOS
  • Installed the virtIO drivers
  • installed the official AMD drivers and used the RadeonResetBugFix mentioned in the guide

The only thing I could not get working was the initial VM setup using seabios - I am simply not able to boot.
Using OVMF however seems to not be a problem.

I have also read here that I might need a ghost hdmi adapter? I still haven't tried to connect a monitor yet but might give it a go tomorrow.

Any suggestions on how to achieve this would be greatly appreciated.
I will provide as much information as possible and will do my best to follow up with my findings.
If all fails I also don't mind giving ubuntu a shot first if that helps to debug the root cause.

Thank you!

Last edited:
hi @pjgm, I just started using Proxmox a couple weeks ago and I followed the same guide as you. It took me a few times, but eventually I got it to work. Moreover, I've installed using this process a couple times now successfully. The guide I wrote is step by step with screenshots, so you can see exactly what I did. It's for the Beelink SER5 5800H, but I think it should work just fine for you as long as you have the required files. Good luck!

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/guide-ryzen-5800h-igpu-passthrough-hdmi-windows11-htpc.153405/

Also SeaBIOS I think is for Win10. You need UEFI for Win11.
1725723899783.png

Last edited:
Reactions: pjgm
Thanks a lot @jun3280! It seems like we are in the same boat, I've started using proxmox a few days ago with this new mini pc.
I reviewed your guide (amazing job btw) and I was able to find the missing pieces.
In my case:
  • I didn't have the RadeonResetBugFixService installed correctly
  • Reverted back my /ect/default/grub changes to simply quiet iommu=pt
  • My iGPU was not set to "Primary GPU". I must have changed this back while trying different things to get this to work
  • I used AMDGopDriver_5800H.rom as it seems to work perfectly well with my machine
To "stress test" this I've tried to play some 4k youtube videos and I noticed a lot of dropped frames. However this does not appear to be a problem in firefox.
At this point I believe it should be simply software configuration issues and I'm glad I got passthrough to work :)

Thanks a lot @jun3280! It seems like we are in the same boat, I've started using proxmox a few days ago with this new mini pc.
I reviewed your guide (amazing job btw) and I was able to find the missing pieces.
In my case:
  • I didn't have the RadeonResetBugFixService installed correctly
  • Reverted back my /ect/default/grub changes to simply quiet iommu=pt
  • My iGPU was not set to "Primary GPU". I must have changed this back while trying different things to get this to work
  • I used AMDGopDriver_5800H.rom as it seems to work perfectly well with my machine
To "stress test" this I've tried to play some 4k youtube videos and I noticed a lot of dropped frames. However this does not appear to be a problem in firefox.
At this point I believe it should be simply software configuration issues and I'm glad I got passthrough to work :)

Awesome @pjgm ! Great to hear you figured it out. I'm really impressed with the minibox and Proxmox. I haven't really noticed issues watching videos on this machine, but perhaps I'm not stressing it the way you are. I tried watching some 4K Netflix through Chrome and it seemed fine to me. The 4k video I tested in Youtube looks fine as well. You can see how my box is performing, as well as what Windows 11 is seeing.

What youtube video are you testing?

Attachments

• prox_4k_60.jpg
    prox_4k_60.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 3
It was just a random 4k 60fps LG demo.

But again, I believe all is working well from the hardware side, it should be just a matter of software tweaks.

My use case is also a bit different from yours - I'm connecting via RDP which will always add some latency.
Not a big deal for me as I will be only windows when I really can't avoid it and won't be using it as my daily driver!

It was just a random 4k 60fps LG demo.

But again, I believe all is working well from the hardware side, it should be just a matter of software tweaks.

My use case is also a bit different from yours - I'm connecting via RDP which will always add some latency.
Not a big deal for me as I will be only windows when I really can't avoid it and won't be using it as my daily driver!
Regardless, that's great to hear that you got it working.

I was adamant about getting the pass through working so I could use the minibox as an HTPC. Pretty happy everything works well.

For you - since you're running just RDP, did you ever consider running an INTEL based chip like 12th - 13th gen, as it is my understanding the igpu can be virtualized and shared amongst a number of different VMs? I don't believe you can output via HDMI though if the igpu is shared though (I haven't been able to get any confirmation).

see here :
https://3os.org/infrastructure/proxmox/gpu-passthrough/igpu-passthrough-to-vm/
https://www.derekseaman.com/2024/07...u-vt-d-passthrough-with-intel-alder-lake.html

For you - since you're running just RDP, did you ever consider running an INTEL based chip like 12th - 13th gen, as it is my understanding the igpu can be virtualized and shared amongst a number of different VMs
That's interesting, I didn't know that. I may have to revaluate my choice and understand if it makes sense to go with Intel.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!