AMD IOMMU - not booting - timed out for waiting the udev queue being empty

Hellgore

Jul 23, 2024
Hi all,

I have just started to move to proxmox and it looks great and seems to have alot of features.

As one of my goals with my build is to have an HBA and a GPU passed directly to a VM i need to enable IOMMU in the BIOS but once i do the systems will not start and will hang after letting it do its things.

The following are my specs:
MB: Asrock B550M Pro4
CPU: Rysten 7 5700G
RAM: 64 GB
2 NVME drives 1 for system and 1 for other stuff once i get going
1 expansion card for 5 HDDS and 2 SSDs on pci-e slot 2 as slot 1 will be reseved for the GPU later on
1 sata disk as i had a spere disk to use for random stuff later on

Once i enable IOMMU in the bios i can not get the system to boot if i have the cable to the hdd:s attached and i get the following errors:

11IMG_20240723_064545589.jpg

1IMG_20240723_070531193.jpg
I have read a lot of stuff and am at a loss of what might be causing the issue but am leaning towards the Kernel right now.

Read:
Puget systems How to Use Linux Kernel Boot Options : https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/hpc/how-to-use-linux-kernel-boot-options/

Arch-linux repoted issue: https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/packaging/packages/linux/-/issues/64

Many more posts in this forum all intresting but sadly not helping my issue

Things i have tried:
Enabeling iommu in config files first then in bios - no luck
Downgrading bios to lowest possible version - no luck
Disconnecting the disks from the hba but letting the card sit in the slot - works fro booting but not feasible as i need the disks

Disabled cpu hyperthreading/virtualization and turned on iommu - no luck

Is there anyone who might be able to help me out?

I know you want a lot of logs so please let me know which logs and how i can produce them.

Any ideas on this. I do not need PCIe passthrough for the hba but would need it for the gpu and thus this is a matter that needs addressing. Any smart or experienced person that has an idea?

Any ideas on this. I do not need PCIe passthrough for the hba but would need it for the gpu and thus this is a matter that needs addressing. Any smart or experienced person that has an idea?
Sometimes adding iommu=pt helps for devices that are not passed through (by using the identity mapping). What is your current output of cat /proc/cmdline?
Have you tried the other x16 slot? I can't think of anything else than trying maybe another motherboard (with a X570(S) chipset) or another HBA.

Hmmm,
Tinkering in both bios and the machine and using the debug install I get the following errors..

Attachments

• 1000013884-transformed.jpeg
    1000013884-transformed.jpeg
    590.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 1000013883-transformed.jpeg
    1000013883-transformed.jpeg
    608.8 KB · Views: 7
I did some further research and stumbled upon a guide that specifically went through differences between hba:s and PCIe to sata splitters.. and realized I might not at all have an hba...
So I ordered an hba to actually have the right stuff and then I can get going I think.
Good too as I was about to switch the mb from my stationary to my server (having an old x570 mb in my stationary) otherwise it is hard to find an m-atx mb with the x570 chip for a reasonable price.

Anyways, thank you this far for pointing me in the right direction. Will see if the hba will solve it for me, most likely it will.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!