AMD EPYC 9004 support

Feb 24, 2022
Hi,

Has anyone already had experience with the new Epyc 9004? Just wondering because I read about some issues with Epyc 7001 and 7002 in the beginning after release
Did anyone already have the opportuinity to test them out? if yes how is the virtualization performance and is it worth the higher price compared to a 7003?

any input is appreciated

Thanks

We have some workstations here using 7900X CPUs, but no Epycs yet. So other than those workstations working just fine with kernel 5.19, I can't tell you much else.
But migrations haven't been tested other than through nested VMs as far as I know.

Reactions: mahmed
ok. Thanks for the answer. Anyone else any experience with these new CPUs and proxmox?
Are they based on Zen 3 core?

I know my Zen 3 chip to be stable on FreeBSD guests (install cant even boot otherwise), I dropped it to emulate EPYC which I think is emulating Zen 1. No performance hit.

We have some workstations here using 7900X CPUs, but no Epycs yet. So other than those workstations working just fine with kernel 5.19, I can't tell you much else.
But migrations haven't been tested other than through nested VMs as far as I know.
May I ask which version of proxmox you're using? There was a post about ryzen 7950x having issues installing proxmox. I was wondering if you know if that cpu works before committing to hardware purchase. Thanks

Other post
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-7-1-2-is-unable-to-install-on-amd-processor.116549/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!