I want to set up Proxmox.

AMD EPYC 7502P 32-Core "Rome" (Zen2)
256 GB DDR4 ECC RAM
5x 960 GB NVMe SSD Datacenter Edition

how many centos vmm do you think works?

Is that possible?

Last edited:
hi,

if i get it right, you're asking how many centos VMs you can run on this node?

that all depends on the resources you assign to each VM.

note that PVE needs some amount of resources to function by itself (you can't assign everything to VMs). this need gets bigger if you're going to use something like ZFS which needs a lot more RAM.

hi,

if i get it right, you're asking how many centos VMs you can run on this node?

that all depends on the resources you assign to each VM.

note that PVE needs some amount of resources to function by itself (you can't assign everything to VMs). this need gets bigger if you're going to use something like ZFS which needs a lot more RAM.

4 gb ram 4 core will be 100 gb disc all

are you also turkish?

Thansk.

hi,

4 gb ram 4 core will be 100 gb disc all

okay, so you know how each VM will be allocated, you need to calculate simply:

32 cores / 4 cores = 8 VMs
256G ram / 4G ram = 64VMs but this is capped at 8 because of the cores. each VM needs at least 1 core minimum so you get 32VMs max.

which means based on the cores you have between 8-32 VMs you can run on the node. space is also no problem with almost 5TB if you're gonna give 100G for each VM (5000 / 100 = 50 but that's over 32 already).

hope this helps!

i want to give further info in addition to my colleague
32 cores / 4 cores = 8 VMs
its 64 threads, and in reality most assigned cpu cores of vms are not doing much, cpus are very easy to overcommit
so here the limit mostly has to do with what your vms actually do

256G ram / 4G ram = 64VMs but this is capped at 8 because of the cores. each VM needs at least 1 core minimum so you get 32VMs max.
again not so easy, if you enable ballooning and/or ksm you might be able to overcommit to much more than you have
available on the real machine
(especially if your vms are all the same)

space is also no problem with almost 5TB if you're gonna give 100G for each VM (5000 / 100 = 50 but that's over 32 already).
also this is (depending on the storage) not necessarily true, since you can use a 'thin-provisioned' storage which allows
you to give 'more' disk space to vms than you actually have

caveats apply though:

in any situation where you overcommit: monitor your hosts
especially for disks space this is essential, because when you overcommit you 'promise' that not all vms
use all the resources at the same time, but when they do, everything either crashes, come to a halt or in the worst
case, you can lose data!

Reactions: djsami
i want to give further info in addition to my colleague

its 64 threads, and in reality most assigned cpu cores of vms are not doing much, cpus are very easy to overcommit
so here the limit mostly has to do with what your vms actually do

again not so easy, if you enable ballooning and/or ksm you might be able to overcommit to much more than you have
available on the real machine
(especially if your vms are all the same)

also this is (depending on the storage) not necessarily true, since you can use a 'thin-provisioned' storage which allows
you to give 'more' disk space to vms than you actually have

caveats apply though:

in any situation where you overcommit: monitor your hosts
especially for disks space this is essential, because when you overcommit you 'promise' that not all vms
use all the resources at the same time, but when they do, everything either crashes, come to a halt or in the worst
case, you can lose data!

thank you so much 64 vmm I think it works fine

great, please mark the thread as [SOLVED] by editing the title

Reactions: djsami
the forum language is english. sorry.

I asked 5 times? oguz You did not answer 5 times what is your problem?

oguz name is a Turkish name

What is your problem? This forum language is English, we do not have a Turkish forum, I'm afraid.

And just because a name sounds like it comes from some country it doesn't mean that they necessarily have to be from that country..

I asked 5 times? oguz You did not answer 5 times what is your problem?

oguz name is a Turkish name

I'm so sorry, you just asked 1 2 times I wondered why he did not answer, we are a nationalist, I told him in that respect

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!