Am I config PVE graphics passthrough correctly?

cani1see

Oct 27, 2024
I configed graphics passthrough according to some the online tutorial.
A windows virtual machine can use the GPU now, but this virtual machine is turned on on demand. Every time pve is turned on, and the windows is not turned on, it will still display these on screen

Booting `Proxmox VE GNU/Linux`
Loading Linux 6.xx.....
Loading initial ramdisk .....
_

My monitor will keep displaying these if there is no other signal source.
If the windows is turned on then turned off, it will not be displayed.
Am I config it correctly? Or is there some command that makes pve cancel this display signal?

I think you need to add pci-stub driver at boot so linux would not initialize it further for proxmox

*Untested* steps:
  1. identify your GPU with lspci: lspci -nn write down [xxxx:xxxx] part
  2. open /etc/default/grub with your favorite text editor and find GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT
  3. add pci-stub.ids=xxxx:xxxx to it, replacing xxxx:xxxx with actual device identifier, your line should look something like GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet pci-stub.ids=xxxx:xxxx" (also you can add multiple entries separated by comma, if needed)
  4. run proxmox-boot-tool refresh
and that's should be it; keep in mind that I did not check these steps, and that you won't be able to use this GPU to access PVE terminal w/o rescue mode!

Last edited:
I think you need to add pci-stub driver at boot so linux would not initialize it further for proxmox

*Untested* steps:
  1. identify your GPU with lspci: lspci -nn write down [xxxx:xxxx] part
  2. open /etc/default/grub with your favorite text editor and find GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT
  3. add pci-stub.ids=xxxx:xxxx to it, replacing xxxx:xxxx with actual device identifier, your line should look something like GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet pci-stub.ids=xxxx:xxxx" (also you can add multiple entries separated by comma, if needed)
  4. run proxmox-boot-tool refresh
and that's should be it; keep in mind that I did not check these steps, and that you won't be able to use this GPU to access PVE terminal w/o rescue mode!
nothing changed...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!