Alternate SSH port blocked within same network yet OK externally

proxale

May 24, 2020
I have two Proxmox host, Host A running 5.0 and Host B running 6.2, both on the same physical network and same logical subnet. They are not in the same cluster currently. The plan is to migrate user data from Host A VM to Host B, then reinstall Host A with 6.2 to make a 2 node cluster.

I've setup ssh on a new CentOS 8 VM on Host B to use an alternate port instead of 22. Firewall enabled at Datacenter level and host level, disabled at VM level.

From an external PC, I can SSH to the alternate port using public Internet IP assigned to the VM on Host B so the configuration on the VM is good.

From Host A itself, I can SSH into VMs on Host B. However, for some unknown reason, I cannot SSH to this alternate port from VMs on Host A. I get a connection refused error which looks like a firewall block.

I've added firewall rules Datacenter and host server level to ACCEPT all incoming/outgoing TCP traffic from the entire subnet. I've done the same within the VM on Host B. But the alternate port just doesn't work with VMs on Host A. If I enable port 22 again, it works. While the alternate port still refuse to work.

I've checked iptable rules to verify that there is no rule on the new VM that is blocking the subnet. ssh -v provides no additional clue, the connection gets refused instantly. There are no log entries on VM or Proxmox host for either firewall or SSH that indicates it was blocked by firewall or rejected by ssh.

Tried everything I can think of but it's just bizarrely not working. Can anybody suggest what I might be overlooking?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!