Alow additonal user to use vzctl enter

jgf

Nov 5, 2012
Proxmox system set up and running with no problem. root has access to everything, via web interface and also via SSH login to host.

To enhance security, I wanted to add another user with root equivalence.

I have added an additional user via web that has administrator rights to everything, and that works fine. Problem is if I want to log in via ssh to host user does not exist. If I go and add a user to host with group root, I can log in to host via ssh. Changed default path for the user so it can find vzctl. Now when I try to execute "vzctl enter 100", I get "Unable to open /etc/pve/openvz/100.conf: Permission Denied".

Obviously there is a disconnect between users added via ProxMox web console and actual host which I am not understanding.

Basically as the system is on the internet I would prefer ssh login limited to a specific random user ID (NOT root). I cannot find any posts relating to this. Any advice?

Many thanks.

Only root user is allowed to use vzctl or other VM related tools.

You can add other users, but you need to use the GUI or the API to manage VMs - you can do that from ssh.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!