All virtual machines with zfs-drives gone after upgrade

AndreasZiegler

Aug 30, 2020
Hi Proxmox community

I'm using Proxmox together with FreeNAS and the freenas-proxmox plugin. Recently I tried to upgrade the whole system via the web interface. On a first try, freenas-proxmox and pvemanager failed to upgrade. With apt dist-upgrade I managed to upgrade pvemanager. As I described in this ticket on GitHub, I finally managed to upgrade freenas-proxmox as well. While trying to get the freenas-proxmox to upgrade, I did a apt purge freenas-proxmox and therefore, removed the whole thing.

After I got freenas-proxmox working again, I saw that all my ZFS drives are gone and also my virtual machines that used the ZFS drives (included one template). I reconfigured the FreeNAS/Proxmox-connection by following these steps and also re-added the zfs-disks. I re-created the virtual machines and assigned the corresponding zfs-drives. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work. In the terminal I can see the message that it can't boot from the drive.

I thought I could maybe use a snapshot I did, but I don't know, how I could have access to these again.

I'm now not sure if my ZFS drives are gone due to my troubles with freenas-proxmox or because of the upgrade to the latest Proxmox version. Any help would be appreciated. Please let me know what kind of information do you need for troubleshooting.

That freenas plugin is needed to mount zfs over iscsi from proxmox to freenas or from freenas to proxmox?

cause if the disks are in the proxmox host, an zpool status would be helpful.

The freenas plugin is needed so that zfs pools/disks/volumes stored on the FreeNAS can be mounted and used within Proxmox.

Under VM Disks I can also see all the snapshots I made (event the one for the Debian 10 base template) as you can see in the screenshot below.

1618642790760.png

Last edited:
If you look direct in the FreeNAS server - are all VM disks there? I did'n read all above.

I have never used the FreeNAS plugin but if you make it easier and distribute the disks via NFS from FreeNAS and connect that NFS share in Proxmox, then you avoid the extra FreeNAS plugin. What's the point of the FreeNAS plugin?

Last edited:
The advantages of ZFS over iSCSI is the possibility to create backups and snapshots as far as I understand it. That's at least the reason why I choose it. I do use a NFS share for a data partition in one virtual machine.

I'm using FreeNAS scheduled snapshots and sharing the storage via NFS. In Proxmox you can also take snapshots. For backup I'm using Proxmox Backup Server (excellent system).
The scheduled snapshot in FreeNAS are not visible in Proxmox so I have to handle them in FreeNAS. The snapshot taken in Proxmox I can of course handle direct in Proxmox. This setup have worked very well for 6 years but now we will change to Ceph storage (using Proxmox for this to).

eham, why do we need an freenas plugin for zfs over iscsi at all?

i would anyway always recommend to provide zfs over iscsi instead over nfs, multiple benefits...

but proxmox can do iscsi natively. So for what is that plugin?
1.png2.PNG

???

On freenas you create simpy the portal and the target... probably even set an mtu of 9000 for a bit faster speed... and thats it.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!