All incoming ports to VMs blocked since upgrade to PVE 4.3

mdo

Renowned Member
Dec 5, 2010
New Zealand
That sounds odd and I would expect that others would have seen this before and reported here but I have done an upgrade from PVE 3.4 to latest PVE 4.3 today and it looks like public access to all ports on the VMs seems now blocked (by PVE firewall I assume?). Previous upgrades from 3.4 to PVE 4.2 for very similar set ups were straight forward.

I am testing with telnet to the public IP on ports like 25 (smtp) or 465 imaps. The VM NICs are bridged to vmbr0 (= Proxmox' external NIC to the public Internet). I suspected that maybe a default firewall set up is now active since PVE4.3 but I cannot find anything and believe all PVE firewall settings to be off.

I am struggling to find the difference to PVE 4.2 where such an upgrade was straight forward. I followed the Proxmox wiki instructions as before (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_3.x_to_4.0) which worked easily up to PVE 4.2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Michael

Thank you for the reply and confirming what I assumed (no firewall change). I could not figure it out last night (too late) but this morning found it to be a firewall problem.
Sorry for the noise and thanks again for a "Sunday response". Great software with excellent culture in the forum = top end open source!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!