All console/shell connections time out

robbith

Aug 21, 2019
Hi.

I've recently switched to Proxmox from ESX (home setup, not production). Everything has been working well and I have been re-familiarising myself with Linux in general. My installation was directly via the proxmox-ve_6.0-1.iso.

Somehow I have managed to break ALL consoles. NoVNC, the host shell, and LXC consoles all time out.

LXC error:
timed out waiting for client
TASK ERROR: command '/usr/bin/termproxy 5900 --path /vms/103 --perm VM.Console -- /usr/bin/dtach -A /var/run/dtach/vzctlconsole103 -r winch -z lxc-console -n 103 -e -1' failed: exit code 4

Windows VM NoVNC error:
TASK ERROR: connection timed out

Host Shell error:
timed out waiting for client
TASK ERROR: command '/usr/bin/termproxy 5900 --path /nodes/hpz --perm Sys.Console -- /bin/login -f root' failed: exit code 4

This happened when I was working inside an Ubuntu 18.04LTS container attempting to configure Apache Guacamole. I had to shutdown the container and then was unable to access the console, or any other console.

I've run apt-get upgrade, rebooted the host, rebooted terminal & cleared browser cache. All other functions seem to work fine except console. Does anyone have any thoughts before I throw in the towel and revert to my ESX safetyzone (which I don't really want to do)?

Thanks, Rob.

pveversion:
proxmox-ve: 6.0-2 (running kernel: 5.0.15-1-pve)
pve-manager: 6.0-5 (running version: 6.0-5/f8a710d7)
pve-kernel-helper: 6.0-6
pve-kernel-5.0: 6.0-5
pve-kernel-5.0.15-1-pve: 5.0.15-1
ceph-fuse: 12.2.11+dfsg1-2.1
corosync: 3.0.2-pve2
criu: 3.11-3
glusterfs-client: 5.5-3
ksm-control-daemon: 1.3-1
libjs-extjs: 6.0.1-10
libknet1: 1.10-pve2
libpve-access-control: 6.0-2
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.0-2
libpve-common-perl: 6.0-3
libpve-guest-common-perl: 3.0-1
libpve-http-server-perl: 3.0-2
libpve-storage-perl: 6.0-7
libqb0: 1.0.5-1
lvm2: 2.03.02-pve3
lxc-pve: 3.1.0-64
lxcfs: 3.0.3-pve60
novnc-pve: 1.0.0-60
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.1-1
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 2.0-5
pve-cluster: 6.0-5
pve-container: 3.0-5
pve-docs: 6.0-4
pve-edk2-firmware: 2.20190614-1
pve-firewall: 4.0-7
pve-firmware: 3.0-2
pve-ha-manager: 3.0-2
pve-i18n: 2.0-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 4.0.0-5
pve-xtermjs: 3.13.2-1
qemu-server: 6.0-7
smartmontools: 7.0-pve2
spiceterm: 3.1-1
vncterm: 1.6-1
zfsutils-linux: 0.8.1-pve1

Same here. Yesterday everything was ok. Today I can't login to shell/console by Proxmox web interface from Windows 10 pc (Chrome, Edge), but I can from Android device (Chrome).

Edit: I think that it has something to do with Windows updates, because everything works on other, not yet updated, Windows machines.
Edit2: Works on Linux machines too. Hmm....

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
No resolution yet but I have an update. I tried connecting using a different client (a Mac not that it would make much of a difference), and it's working, similarly to you charles015.
I think it may be something to do with the SSL certificate (self signed). I have a Let's Encrypt certificate issued for the Proxmox host which I haven't imported yet. I cam across another post with similar connection issues where the resolution was to import the self-signed certificate, also something about clearing known-hosts: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/vnc-console-error.21545/

EDIT: I also checked and have the firewall completely disabled at host and datacenter level. Also the client I am having trouble with is a Windows 10 machine.

Last edited:
I've found solution for my Windows machine. Eset Smart Security was filtering connections from my browsers (even when firewall was disabled). I've excluded IP adresses of Proxmox machines in advanced settings -> web and e-mail -> protocol filtering (or something like that - I have non-English version).

@robbith Are you using Eset, too? Troubles with Eset and the consoles have been reported (and solved) in another thread.

I just had the same problem with this error:
(TASK ERROR: command '/usr/bin/termproxy 5900 --path /nodes/aplusvps1 --perm Sys.Console -- /usr/bin/pveupgrade --shell' failed: exit code 4)

For me this luckily was solved in proxmox gui by access node: system Certificates- Order Certificate

(a certificated was already installed before, so I am a bit surprised that I had to install the cert again) edit: I see now it is only valid for 3 months... my bad =)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominic
I've found solution for my Windows machine. Eset Smart Security was filtering connections from my browsers (even when firewall was disabled). I've excluded IP adresses of Proxmox machines in advanced settings -> web and e-mail -> protocol filtering (or something like that - I have non-English version).
Thank you very much. I resolved with your tip. Nod32 Antivirus v.13

Reactions: Dominic
hola, muy buenas tardes
quise ingresar un nodo al archivo corosync.conf, y en la parte de grabar, me dejó con una X uno de los nodos que ya tenía configurado de forma correcta, no sé qué hacer, ya busque varias formas de poder hacerlo y no me deja

1606251455451.png
este es el error que manda
1606251601181.png

espero me puedan ayudar
saludos

Hi,

please try to
  • write your questions in English
  • not write your question into an old and unrelated thread
Therefore, I'd ask you to open a new thread, including the exact steps that you performed when you edited corosync.conf. Did you edit it manually with a text editor? Please also read the relevant chapter of our documentation.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!