[SOLVED] after update Kernel from 6.2.16-19 to 6.5.11-3 network not work anymore

Just to make sure I'm doing the right things. I remove r8168-dkms with: sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove r8168-dkms
And to enable r8169 I remove r8168-dkms.conf from /etc/modprobe.d/

After a restart the r8169 driver should work again?

Some people needed to add Kernel params to the Grub initialisation. If that's your case, you should also remove them from /etc/default/grub:

Mine used to look like this:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="r8168.aspm=0 r8168.eee_enable=0 pcie_aspm=off loglevel=3"

Now looks like this:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Then you'd need to update your boot images:
Code:
proxmox-boot-tool refresh

I think that's about it.

Reactions: JF62
Alternatively, you can use the new version of the r8168-dkms package. Since version 8.051.02-3, Kernel 6.5 is supported by the package. You only need to update dkms as well as the new version requires dkms >= 3.0.11. Also see my post HERE.

To add a datapoint, I had issues with r8169 in the past and I had switched to r8168.
I haven't tested it for long enough to give you a definitive answer but it seems that r8169 fixed the issues I was seeing and it now works better with my hardware.

In my machine I had /etc/modprobe.d/r8168-dkms.conf preventing loading r8169 on boot.
Code:
# settings for r8168-dkms

# map the specific PCI IDs instead of blacklisting the whole r8169 module
alias    pci:v00001186d00004300sv00001186sd00004B10bc*sc*i*    r8168
alias    pci:v000010ECd00008168sv*sd*bc*sc*i*            r8168

# if the aliases above do not work, uncomment the following line
# to blacklist the whole r8169 module
#blacklist r8169

Commenting out the aliases is allowing r8169 to load and so far it's working fine for me, so that might be an option for you as well.
Can you give an update concerning the freezes? Are they reoccuring for you is it working on the r8169 driver? Curious to know as I am still holding the update back for this reason.

Can someone answer whether the r8169 driver issue is resolved.

I have a Dell Wyse 5070 that had the Realtek network driver problem. Had it working with the driver downgrade fix, then it broke again after an update. Would like to use the thin client but don't want to waste time if it still doesn't update correctly.

Can someone answer whether the r8169 driver issue is resolved.

I have a Dell Wyse 5070 that had the Realtek network driver problem. Had it working with the driver downgrade fix, then it broke again after an update. Would like to use the thin client but don't want to waste time if it still doesn't update correctly.
Haven’t had any issue with the 69 driver since I asked in this post.

Do you have a Dell thin client with the Realtek network card? I saw in some other posts, here, from August of this year, that the stock installation of Proxmox on the Dell thin clients still has problems. I don't think I'm going to mess with it further. I have another micro PC I think I'll use. it has a fan, and uses a little more power, but it is solid with Promox. Thanks for the reply, by the way.,

Do you have a Dell thin client with the Realtek network card? I saw in some other posts, here, from August of this year, that the stock installation of Proxmox on the Dell thin clients still has problems. I don't think I'm going to mess with it further. I have another micro PC I think I'll use. it has a fan, and uses a little more power, but it is solid with Promox. Thanks for the reply, by the way.,
A Dell Wyse 5070 which has the affected Realtek card. Yes.

So I have the 5070 with the realtec card and it runs completely smoothly with the current kernel. However, I can't tell you 100% whether this should work with a new installation

Thanks for the replies. I'm running Home Assistant in Proxmox. I'm going to try a re-install today. I'll post my results here (If I remember).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!