After removing a container, the backup is not removed

lince

Apr 10, 2015
Hello,

I just removed a container and I see that the backup has not been removed or disabled in the Datacenter->backup window.

Just wanted to let you know in case is something you need to fix.

Regards.

yes this is by design.. it would be disastrous if we would delete all backups if a vm/container is deleted.. what would be the point of a backup then?

Hello,

I mean that the backup job is still active in Datacenter->backup.

Obviously doesn't make sense to remove the backups but disabling the job or showing a warning notifying the there is a backup job active could be interesting.

oh ok sorry i misunderstood,

yes we know this, but with the current design of the backup jobs, it is not so easy to remove a single vmid from the job in a trivial way
(and since one is already at a point of manually removing the vm, removing the vm from backup jobs should not take too long)

but we track this already via this bug https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1296
so if/when this gets fixed, we will update the bug entry

So, if one were to find themselves in this situation, how would they remove the deleted container from the backup schedule, manually? There is no place in the GUI to do it, since the entire panel to manage the deleted container is now gone.

To be clear: I'm not asking about how to delete the backup files themselves; I am asking how to remove the obsolete machineID from the automated backup schedule that I had set up for the machine, in the 'Backup' section of the management panel, and that I no longer need to have happen. Thanks!

To be clear: I'm not asking about how to delete the backup files themselves; I am asking how to remove the obsolete machineID from the automated backup schedule that I had set up for the machine, in the 'Backup' section of the management panel, and that I no longer need to have happen. Thanks!
Yes, this happened a couple of times to myself. We switched from "include selected VMs" (explicit ID) to "pool based", so that we do not have to do anything else. We have ALL VMs inside of different pools with different schedules, so this works fine for us.

if you are in the situation that you have deleted a container but did not check that you want to delete the container from all backup jobs, you will have to delete the container manually from each backup job(Datacenter->Backup) as there is no option to remove bulk in the GUI or CLI.

Reactions: jerimiah797

To avoid that to happen, use the option Purge from job configurations when removing the VM/CT and the ID will be removed from backup, HA and replication jobs after deleting the resource.

If you forget to tick that box, on Proxmox >=7.4 those deleted VMs will show in the GUI and you can deselect them from the backup job, as stated in the release notes [1]:
Improve editing of backup jobs:
  • Add a filter to the columns of the guest selector.
  • Show selected, but non-existing, guests.

Last but not least, shouldn't be too hard to remove them with pvesh and the api [2]

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap#Proxmox_VE_7.4
[2] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/api-viewer/#/cluster/backup

if you are in the situation that you have deleted a container but did not check that you want to delete the container from all backup jobs, you will have to delete the container manually from each backup job(Datacenter->Backup) as there is no option to remove bulk in the GUI or CLI.
This is the answer that helped me. I hadn't looked in the Datacenter node for backup settings. I only have one backup job that backs up all my vm's once a day. Edited it, deselected the deleted VMID from the list, and problem solved. THANKS SO MUCH!

-Jerimiah

Reactions: hd--

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!