After Proxmox Backup Server installation it stuck with a green screen at boot

riaz.somc

Jan 26, 2024
I have an old pc and planned to set it up as PBS for my Proxmox VE on other machine in my homelab. My old machine has first generation core i7 processor (8 core), Asus deluxe p6t gaming motherboard, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA graphics card (as the motherboard does not have any graphics option to output) and 4 1TB HDDs. I tried to install PBS 2.4 with zfs raid10 and later tried PBS 2.2 with zfs raid10, in both cases installation ended up without any issues. But after installation it did not boot, rather it stuck during boot where it checks everything and a blank green screen appeared and everything freezes. Then I tried to install Proxmox VE 7.4 with zfs raid10 on that machine and it installed, booted and worked correctly. What might be the issue in case of PBS and how can I troubleshoot it? Any guidance from you will highly be appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: RenderedPixels
try with nomodeset as a kernel param at boot

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, setting the kernel parameter to nomodeset at boot did not resolve the issue. Stuck at the green screen after showing loading inital ramdisk. Anyway, any other workaround that might be helpful?

Edit:
I removed the "quiet" parameter from the kernel at boot and found it turns green and freezes when the screen tries to change the display resolution.

Last edited:
Found the solution. Had to blacklist nvidiafm driver from kernel with modprobe.blacklist=nvidiafm.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!