After Installing 6.0 via ISO grub throws an error

Jeansburger

Aug 17, 2019
I installed proxmox on my Dell R710 and when I try to boot the system when the disk that holds the proxmox installation when I go through the normal boot process I get an error of

Alloc magic is broken at 0xXXXXXXXXX: 0
Aborted. Press any key to exit.

Some googling leads me to believe this is a UEFI issue and if I try to select the boot drive from the boot selection menu the system boots up just fine. I'm trying to boot the system in legacy bios mode not UEFI.

Is there a way to fix grub so that it no longer uses EFI anywhere in the bootup? Or is there a way to tell the installation to not use EFI in grub?

Last edited:
Is there a way to fix grub so that it no longer uses EFI anywhere in the bootup? Or is there a way to tell the installation to not use EFI in grub?
This needs to be done inside the BIOS/Firmware - since it decides whether it boots in UEFI or in legacy mode.
The PVE installer only installs a grub for efi if it detects the system is booted in uefi mode (it also installs one in the bios_boot partition for legacy boot fallback)
(you can also just wipe the ESP if you're in doubt)

I hope this helps!

Reactions: canove

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!