After Hper-V VM import grub-efi-amd64-signed problems

hfo

Aug 28, 2020
Hi,

a few week ago I imported my Hyper-V Gen. 2 Ubuntu VMs to proxmox ve. I just created a new VM with EFI support and used qm importdisk command to import the vhdx to a given vm. Went fine, all VMs are booting and running.

But during apt upgrade the package grub-efi-amd64-signed fails. It references to /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-xxxlong_numberxxx-part1. Ok I guess that it is still a left over from the hpyer-v installation. My workaround is to create a symbolic link from /dev/vda1 (my /boot/efi partition) to this /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-... and the package is installed or configured fine. Reboot no problem. This workaround is only as said a workaround and not persisted, I need to to it again in case any efi updates are rolled out.

I took a look around in the system to find a reference to this number in order to fix it permanently without any success. efibootmgr --verbose does not give any hint as well. I do not like to reinstall efi and grub right now for a running vm.

And the scsi-xxx-part1 number is not formatted as an UUID and contains 33 digits not 32...

So does anybody knoed a solution? Or should I reinstall the EFI boot system?

Does this happen in all your Ubuntu VMs?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!