AER Corrected error received

Melvin_XIII

Aug 29, 2022
Hi,
I have a fresh Proxmox installation (8.0.3) on a Dell OptiPlex 3000 SFF. The bootloader is systemd-boot. Im on kernel PVE 6.2.16-6.
When the onboard Network interface is connected, I get the following post about once a second: "pcieport 000:00:1c.2: AER Corrected error received: 0000:02:00.0"
The PCIe IDs in question correspond to:
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device 7aba (rev 11)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
The system seems to be running stable.

Does anyone have a suggestion how I could diagnose this?

So far, I have done the following:
I found this forum post. Its describes a similar error but on ubuntu and with a GPU. What I read out of it was that the post could be due to the Power management settings. I disabled all power management in BIOS (S1, S3, S4, S5)
Also, I made sure the BIOS is up-to-date.

I would very much appreciate any help.

Have a great week.

No, Sadly I never did. I ended up putting a Pci NIC in. and not using the onboard NIC. My porblem was gone then....
I am still looking for a solution. but no further yet.

AER is usually (exceptions prove the rule) one of two things:
1.) Poor PCIe signaling, due to damage, adapters and/or poor layout.
2.) Issues with power-management, that result in pseudo signaling issues. In other words: Power-Management related problems, that look like siganling issues, on the specific driver code-path, but indeed are based on logical problems in the power-management of a device, or the handling of the device by the driver.

Quick test to rule out power-management, is (for example) to boot with the kernel commandline parameter "pcie_aspm=off". If that helps, then you most likely do NOT have an actual issue with signal quality.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!