Advise on proxmox networking configuration

smurphy.it

Nov 8, 2019
Good day. I have a home rack-mount server that has 5 or 6 eth 1G ports in it. I was looking at setting up proxmox to play around with VMs, probably some docker containers and some kali type stuff for pen-testing. The first VM I was looking at installing is pfsense.

I was looking at connecting 4 of the ethernet ports (bonding at least 2 together for fail-over/load-balancing), and am trying to determine what is the best method, as I know there are varying views on VLANs, bridges etc.

Current hw configuration:

cable modem (internet) 1 eth connects to soho wifi router.
The rack server is in it's own room, and is hooked up to an 8-port 1GB switch, this then feeds through the wall and into the SOHO router.

I'll be looking at running some typical VMs (reverse nginx proxy, some linux VMs, NFS file server) they would be either on my normal home network, or on a seperate network segment. Additionally, the kali type stuff would probably be on a network that doesn't have a network bridge (no out to network).

DHCP/DNS is currently doled out by a raspberry pi.

Perhaps configured as: (no IPs set on any of these)
2 x 1GB eth => bond0
2 x 1GB eth => bond1
1 x 1GB eth => ethXXX

Then create 3 virtual bridges:
vmbr0 = bond0
vmbr1 = bond1
vmbr2 = ethXXX (configure IP address here) for proxmox

For pfsense, use vmbr0 and vmbr1 (using one of the as WAN and other as LAN) giving the LAN an IP address.

thoughts ?

Last edited:
Hi,

I would skip vmbr2 and apply the IP direct to the NIC for Proxmox VE management.

All cables connect to GB switch, go through wall, and plug into internet router. So attempting to virtualize server, and have DHCP run on LAN interface only (with no bleed-over).

Networking reconfigured as:
* vmbr5 => ip for WAN (comment in that this wan port)
* vmbr0 => bond0 (bond0 consists of eth0, eth2, eth3)
eth4 -> IP configured on this for Proxmox VE

pfsense networking:
net0 => vmbr0
net1 => vmbr5

Create VM, give it network device of: vmbr0 (LAN)

Configure pfsense, and set the LAN interface for dhcp.

Unfortunately, when looking in the dhcp system logs, I am seeing cross-over from other network.
DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.z.z (192.168.z.z) from aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff via vtnet0: wrong network.
DHCPOFFER on 192.168.x.x to aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff (clientx) via vtnet0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!