Advices on hardware update and storage

PerkySloth

Jun 29, 2020
Hi everyone,

I currently administer a Proxmox server installed (by someone else who's not there anymore) on an old Dell XPS 8100, Core i7 860, 16Gb RAM, 4 x 500Gb HDD, 3 monitoring and ticketing VMs are currently running on it.

I want to upgrade all this with two Dell Precision T5600 (for redundancy), 2 x Xeon E5-2630 and 32Gb RAM in anticipation of several P2V migrations (license and application servers) and creation of new VMs for web and database servers.

I'm quite new to virtualization and I wonder what kind of storage I should adopt knowing that I have access to several 4TB HDDs, some 256Gb SSDs and 4 x 1TB SSDs. Which ones should I use for the system or for the VMs?

Thanks in advance for your helpful advices!

hi,

I'm quite new to virtualization and I wonder what kind of storage I should adopt knowing that I have access to several 4TB HDDs, some 256Gb SSDs and 4 x 1TB SSDs. Which ones should I use for the system or for the VMs?

will this be a cluster or a single node?

with so many disks and 32G RAM, i'd say it makes sense to use zfs raid. (of course without hardware raid)

also check here[0] for a general overview of the storage options.

[0]: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage

Hello !

This will be a cluster of two servers so i can replicate my VMs.

In the end i used one 256Gb SSD for the system and a ZFS RAID 0 (without hardware raid yes) of two 4TB HDD for VM, i'm really not sure that was the best thing to do but i didn't get any further yet so i can start over for this.

As for why 32GB of RAM, which is in fact 48GB, i guess your question was related to the number of disks installed, i know there's the "1GB for 1TB" rule for ZFS but i'm not sure yet how much my VM's will consume later so i figured this was a good start.

I checked the storage part of the wiki yes and ZFS seems to be definitely the best option.

Thanks for your help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!