Advice on HA setup?

hotwired007

Sep 19, 2011
UK
Anyone offer me some advice on how to set up HA on my current systems?

Cluster 1 (Site 1)
5 Dell Poweredge 1950
2 Netgear 48 port switches
2 Eaton 5130 UPS (USB Connections)
2 Cisco routers (Master/Failover)
2 ReadyNAS 2100 4TB unit (secondary unit is hidden from proxmox cluster)

Cluster 2 (Site 2)
3 Dell Poweredge 860
2 Netgear switches
1 APC 3000 UPS
1 APC 2200 UPS
1 ReadyNAS 2100 8TB

Site 2 is a satelite system - basically my test environment.

Site 1:
Each device has a network connection to both switches (apart from the routers). Each device either has a power connection to both UPS or a duplicate device connected to the secondary UPS. I've removed or reduced as much SPOF for network/power as possible.

I'd still like to get HA working but i have no idea where to start - i've never come across 'fencing' before.

I have a couple of dell 1950's but they don't have DRAC cards. Do you know if fencing can be accomplished using BMC (OpenManage™ Baseboard
Management Controller)? Docs say it has power on off controllers. Curious if there is any option here?

A blurp from the dell docs.
The Dell™ systems’ baseboard management controller (BMC) monitors the
system for critical events by communicating with various sensors on the
system board and sends alerts and logs events when certain parameters exceed
their preset thresholds. The BMC supports the industry-standard Intelligent
Platform Management Interface (IPMI) specification, enabling you to
configure, monitor, and recover systems remotely. The BMC provides the
following features:
• Access through the system’s serial port and integrated NIC
• Fault logging and SNMP alerting
• Access to the system event log (SEL) and sensor status
• Control of system functions including power on and power off
• Support that is independent of the system’s power or operating state
• Text console redirection for system setup, text-based utilities, and
operating system consoles
• Access to Linux Enterprise server serial console interfaces by using Serial
over LAN (SOL).

• Access through the system’s serial port and integrated NIC
• Control of system functions including power on and power off

i really hope that these can be used... makes all of my old servers actually usable in a HA environment.

found this:

Basic remote access is facilitated by the IPMI 2-compliant BMC (baseboard management controller) chip, which allows the server to be remotely accessed over the LAN or serial port, regardless of its condition. Unfortunately, to access the controller, all Dell offers is a simple command-line shell. It's limited in its capabilities, but it does allow you to control the server's power supply and flash the status LED on its front panel.

just been having a play with IPMI view using my Dell 1950's BMC card - i can remotely 'fence' (power off/on/cycle - gracefully/force) the server - now i just need to figure out how to get this to work with the fencing in proxmox 2.0... any suggestions?

just been having a play with IPMI view using my Dell 1950's BMC card - i can remotely 'fence' (power off/on/cycle - gracefully/force) the server - now i just need to figure out how to get this to work with the fencing in proxmox 2.0... any suggestions?

hotwired007 , Curious if you got this to work? I finally got my setup inplace and am about to try it out. Appreciate any experience with it you could share? Thanks in advance.

hi nate, yeah i have it working ok :)

<fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" name="challenger-bmc" lanplus="1" ipaddr="192.168.***.***" login="root" passwd="password" power_wait="5"/>

i use this device in my HA config

to test use fence_node <node name>

hi nate, yeah i have it working ok :)

<fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" name="challenger-bmc" lanplus="1" ipaddr="192.168.***.***" login="root" passwd="password" power_wait="5"/>

i use this device in my HA config

to test use fence_node <node name>

I can boot and reboot the devices using supermicro (IPMIview).

My xml file looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<cluster name="ptgcld1" config_version="4">
<cman keyfile="/var/lib/pve-cluster/corosync.authkey">
</cman>
<fencedevices>
<fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" name="cloud1-bmc" lanplus="1" ipaddr="x.x.223.135" login="root" passwd="password" power_wait="5"/>
<fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" name="cloud2-bmc" lanplus="1" ipaddr="x.x.223.137" login="root" passwd="password" power_wait="5"/>
</fencedevices>
<clusternodes>
<clusternode name="cloud1" votes="1" nodeid="1">
<fence>
<method name="1">
<device name="cloud1-bmc"/>
</method>
</fence>
</clusternode>
<clusternode name="cloud2" votes="1" nodeid="2">
<fence>
<method name="1">
<device name="cloud2-bmc"/>
</method>
</fence>
</clusternode>
</clusternodes>
<rm>
<service autostart="1" exclusive="0" name="ha_test_ip" recovery="relocate">
<ip address="192.168.7.180"/>
</service>
</rm>
</cluster>

It loads in the proxmox gui no prob, then I activate it.

But when I run via ssh on either node: "fence_node cloud1"
it returns: "fence cloud1 failed"

I'm not sure if there are any logs for it? Any ideas on what I'm doing incorrect?

Thanks!

Thanks Tom. I'm trying to get 2 nodes up, a quorum disk, and fencing to work. Then add another Node before using the HA feature on a VM. Do you think there is any issue with that?

For fencing, I just want to make sure I can use the baseboard management console in the dell servers for fencing, or if I'm going to need to buy another hardware device. We have several dells here that have that we could re-purpose they all have that baseboard feature. I just don't have much budget so I'm doing what I can you know.. I appreciate you helping me.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!