[SOLVED] Advice for new hardware

Thomas Plant

Mar 28, 2018
Hello all,

we will buy new hardware for our migration from XenServer to Proxmox and need some advice/recommendation.

First are AMD Epyc CPUs an alternative to Intel for Proxmox? Are there compatibility issues?
Will be an two AMD Epyc 7351, 2.40 Ghz 16 Core or two Intel Gold 2,20 Ghz 14 Core.
The system itself will be probably a 24 bay, 2,5" Supermicro chassis, with an LSI 9300-8i HBA. No problems there I presume, LSI has always worked here with Debian. Any known issues?
HDDrives will be 10.000 rpm 2,5" 1.2TB in RAID10. We will host KVM VMs, aprox. 30 for every host. They have very mixed workload, from simple Webhosting to a mailserver, MySQL etc. Very difficult to tell how much IO/s the make currently, as our old storage has no statistics about this.
I was thinking to add a 3,2 TB NVMe PCIe (5 DWPD) for SLOG and L2ARC, partition it to 64GB for SLOG and the rest for L2ARC, or for local storage the SLOG should be bigger?
With KVM are the writes all 'sync'? Or do I have to set the zvols Proxmox creates manually to 'sync=always' to use the NVMe Log?

Kind regards,
Thomas

Hi,
First are AMD Epyc CPUs an alternative to Intel for Proxmox?
Yes
Are there compatibility issues?
The only known problem is Installation of windows does not work straight.
You have to disable msr in the KVM module if you like to install windows10 or server2016.

Any known issues?
Broadcom former LSI HBA works great with Linux.

I was thinking to add a 3,2 TB NVMe PCIe (5 DWPD) for SLOG and L2ARC, partition it to 64GB for SLOG and the rest for L2ARC, or for local storage the SLOG should be bigger?
I think this is too much and L2ARC must be used with care.
see https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/suggestions-for-hw-setup.52562/#post-243339

With KVM are the writes all 'sync'?
KVM will write as the application requested it, but you can force sync over the HDD settings.

Consider using enterprise SATA SSD instead of SAS HDD the price should be near the same.

Many thanks for the infos,
great tip using SATA SSDs, didn't think about it. Will 'google' how to disable 'msr'.....

regards,
Thomas

No so easy finding informations about these 'msr' things ;-)

is this the right thing to do?
edit '/etc/modprobe.d/kvm.conf ' and add the line 'options kvm ignore_msrs=1'

or can I disable it per VM?

This is correct.
or can I disable it per VM?
You can not set it on VM level only Global.

In the next major kernel upgrade, this problem should be fixed and it will work without this workaround.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!