Advice/Assistance with permissions

Jan 12, 2024
Australia
Hi Team,

I have a new PVE cluster that I am trying to configure with access permissions for systems admin staff. I’m really struggling with this so I would appreciate some guidance if possible.

The staff will need to be able to action the following tasks:
  • Full control of VM’s (create, remove, edit config etc)
  • Add VM’s to HA groups
  • Migrate VM’s between hosts
  • View host CPU/Memory utilisation
  • Access only to Ceph storage pools
  • Upload media to CephFS
  • View Ceph storage utilisation
  • Access only to SDN VNets
Potentially more but that’s what comes to mind as I type this post.

The goal is to essentially allow full VM administration and monitoring of the environment without giving the ability to accidently change system, cluster, ceph settings etc

In an attempt to achieve the above, I have created a user group “SuperAdmin” containing a user “sys.admin”. I have also create a custom role named “SuperAdmin” with the following privileges:

Datastore.Allocate, Datastore.AllocateSpace, Datastore.AllocateTemplate, Datastore.Audit, SDN.Allocate, SDN.Audit, SDN.Use, Sys.Audit, Sys.Console, VM.Allocate, VM.Audit, VM.Clone, VM.Config.CDROM, VM.Config.CPU, VM.Config.Cloudinit, VM.Config.Disk, VM.Config.HWType, VM.Config.Memory, VM.Config.Network, VM.Config.Options, VM.Console, VM.Migrate, VM.Monitor, VM.PowerMgmt, VM.Snapshot.Rollback, VM.Snapshot

I have added the following under permissions for group “SuperAdmin” with the “SuperAdmin” role:

/nodes
/sdn/zones/xxxx
/storage/ceph-iso-store
/storage/ceph-vm-store
/vms

When I login with user “sys.admin”:

Can create VM’s, power on, open view console, stop, edit, remove.
Can migrate VM’s between hosts
View host CPU/Memory utilisation
Have access only to Ceph storage pools
Can upload media to CephFS
Can view Ceph usage

What I am missing right now though is the ability to add VM’s to HA:

NoHAAdd.png

I'd appreciate any input and assistance with this.

Thank you

Hi,
in order to audit and modify HA settings, you need to give the Sys.Audit and Sys.Console permissions on /.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!