Advantages / differences over backing up to a TrueNAS

fluppy

Jul 10, 2023
Hi All,

I was curios about the Proxmox Backup Server so wanted to ask if it had any advantages or major differences in functionality for VE as far as backing up guests go. I currently have the guests backed up to a TrueNAS target.

any advantages or major differences in functionality [compared to] a TrueNAS target.

Lacking a TrueNAS target, I can't comment on the differences or relative advantages.

An important advantage in my view is GPLv3 for PBS. Another important benefit for me is that PBS runs on top of Debian.

TrueNAS allow you to deduplicate your backups via ZFS, does it not? Does that work for encrypted backups? PBS deduplicates your backups. In our home environment, PBS holds five backups of a container that grew from ~1.5 TB to ~2 TB; all together they take about 2 TB of space. I can browse and cherry pick files from the backups, as I imagine you can on TrueNAS.

PBS integrates into PVE nicely, being aware of the featureset of PVE.

I used to manually interface with a tape drive, keeping administration in separate files. PBS integrates tape backup.

I just added a node to PVE which I let double as second PBS, to see if its "remote" functionality gives extra ease of mind, or 'only' extra things to play with.

To let me learn something new: what would you consider strong points of TrueNAS?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!