Advanced logging options?

Benjamin Hodgens

Mar 1, 2016
I'm trying to identify how I can get more detail on specific errors, eg. specifically as it relates to logging API calls.

As near as I can tell, proxmox only logs to:

syslog - for issues pertaining to things like credential problems, service restarts, various indication of cluster operations
access.log - terse record of HTTP requests.

How I can get more detail out of the logs when I get eg. an HTTP 500 (or 596) error - there appears to be no other associated sign of failure, or what the cause of the failure is which can be diagnosed and traced to ground.

Is there a log I'm missing somewhere? Is there a way to increase log verbosity?

Thanks in advance.

There is the journalctl command to watch the systemd logs, which you also might want to have a look into.

Yeah, I'm aware of journalctl, and that's helpful when diagnosing service-level issues. I'm looking more for trying to get more advanced/detailed logs on API transactions.

For instance, underneath /var/log/pve , there are records of all attempted modifications, presumably going back to the beginning of time. However, it doesn't (appear?) to relate to the REST API in any way, and only for non-failed modifications.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!