Administration of VMs on a central server

tehtitanium

Nov 10, 2014
Hello Proxmox Community!

I have a current project running and want to hear some opinions from you wether proxmox is the right solution for me or not... I have to be honest and must say that I am a total beginner in the field of virtualization.
The requirements are written as a User Story.

User Story

I want to have access to all VMs on a central server. The server saves all VMs. I want to start, change (by means of a GUI) and clone VMs from everywhere. Within the VMs I want to start more VMs(nested virtualizatin). Furthermore I want to use local hardware(USBs, Webcam) on the remote VMs and want the VMs to run fast enough(maybe through paravirtualized drivers). As a virtualization software I use kvm and virtualbox. We use these VMs to demonstrate different things.

Currently I have found two possible solutions:

1) Proxmox
Proxmox seems to be the perfect solution for my problem. Some colleagues have tried Proxmox a year and a half ago and have found that a newer Kernel can't be installed (easily).

I know that Proxmox supports usb/pci passthrough, nested virtualization for kvm and paravirtualized drivers, but how difficult is it to set these things up?

Is it possible to allocate space dynamically?

2) Using shell scripts to adminstrate VMs

Starting a VM by means of a shell seems to be quite a difficult and time eating task. To make things easier scripts can be written to administrate VMs.

• Are there already such scripts available?

just give it a quick try if your needs are fullfilled
to start a vm from shell not more than "qm start [ID]" is necessary, so i don't see the difficult and time eating task ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!