Additional subnet...

dixie2000

May 16, 2023
OK, this may be a simple question but with my limited networking knowledge I can't get my heart around it. It may not even be possible with the configuration below.

I have my Proxmox VE running on an older HP G3 mini 800 with a 1gb nic. It is connected to a "dumb" switch which is connected to my Google Mesh device. All this on 192.168.86....

The Google Mesh provides a guest network on 192.168.87... where I have all the IOT "stuff".

How can I connect or add the .87 subnet to Proxmox? I would like to be able to run Home Assistant on Proxmox and control the devices on this guest network.

Any help is certainly appreciated!

You eiher need a second dumb switch and a second NIC or get a managed switch that can handle tagged VLANs so both subnets could be trunked over a single NIC.

@Dunuin

Thanks for the response!

Not sure if I can get a second NIC for the HP G3 mini 800 - no where to put one. May have to go with a smart/managed switch. Any suggestions on one? Eight port is fine.

Thanks

@Dunuin

I added a second NIC and configured as shown. Should I not be able to ping (from the .86) devices on the .87 subnet? Sorry, I am not well versed in networking.
1717002888693.png

Should I not be able to ping (from the .86) devices on the .87 subnet? Sorry, I am not well versed in networking.
No, thats the point of different subnets/VLANs. They shouldn`t be able to communicate unless you got a router that routes between them. This could be a hardware router or software router like a OPNsense VM that sits in both subnets.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!