Additional Debian packages?

VirtualProx

Dec 27, 2017
I just installed PVE 5.1 R 3 from the ISO installer.

I need to install some additional debian packages into the hypervisor OS, such as bind9, but apt-get and apt-cache do not see that package, as well as many others.

Are these packages intentionally excluded?

How can I add them? I've been looking at Debian Stretch package information and sources.list examples, and I don't see any information that would require additional repositories to be added to get these packages.

Thanks...

I think the reasoning for many packages not to be included in the Proxmox repositories is that you generally want your hypervisor to be very thin. It’s not too common to see hypervisors also acting as DNS and other infrastructure servers. The common thing would be to run these services inside VMs or containers on top of the hypervisor.

To accomplish your goal of having these kinds of services running on your bare metal hypervisor, instead of trying to add the standard Debian repositories to a Proxmox install, you may consider installing Debian and then installing Proxmox packages on top of that.

I just installed PVE 5.1 R 3 from the ISO installer.

I need to install some additional debian packages into the hypervisor OS, such as bind9, but apt-get and apt-cache do not see that package, as well as many others.

Are these packages intentionally excluded?

How can I add them? I've been looking at Debian Stretch package information and sources.list examples, and I don't see any information that would require additional repositories to be added to get these packages.

Thanks...

A default Proxmox VE includes the standard Debian packages repositories. Just run "apt-get update" to refresh your index.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!