Adding third NIC to corosync. Question about best practices

Dec 8, 2022
My current cluster consists of three nodes that all have two physical NICs. One is currently used as the primary corosync and replication NIC, and the other is for VMs and management and a backup corosync. I've decided to add an additional NIC that will be used only for corosync, leaving the other two for corosync redundancy. I understand that by default, ring0 is given priority as the "main" corosync network. I am currently utilizing knet_link_priority in the interface section to further dictate that priority level. My question is as follows:

When updating my corosync.conf file, should I make the new NICs as ring0 on all nodes? Or should I make them ring2 and just use knet_link_priority in interface2 to assign them the highest priority?

Both options are perfectly fine and should work, although specifying priority is of course a bit more convoluted than just specifying the rings in the order of priority.

Excellent, thank you for your response. I figured both would work, but just wanted to be certain before breaking things.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!