[SOLVED] Adding Synolog NAS to PBS as Backup Storage

YaseenKamala

Feb 2, 2021
Paris
Hello All,

Is it possible to add Synology NAS to a Virtualized PBS ? if yes how can we do that ? Thanking you in advance for any help that you could as usual :).

Bests,
Yaseen KAMALA

Last edited:
what exatly do you want to achieve? generally yes you can mount any (linux supported) network storage into a pbs (like any other linux)
but the question is what you want to do with it. putting a datastore on it might work, but it's not recommended (adds additional network latency which slows down pbs)

Reactions: YaseenKamala
Hello @dcsapak thank you so much for your reply,

In fact I want to use as a backup storage to backup my VMs, do you think this possible or not?

In the other side I have to tried to mount the Folder that I shared on the NAS but did work yet. bellow is the command that used:
Code:
mount -t cifs //[netbiosname]/techsupport /mnt/techupport -o username=[username],doamin=[name],rw,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777

See the error message I got:
1631544313155.png

Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited:
In fact I want to use as a backup storage to backup my VMs, do you think this possible or not?
what do you mean? do you want to have it as datastore in pbs? or do you want to make pve "vzdump" backups onto it ?

In the other side I have to tried to mount the Folder that I shared on the NAS but did work yet. bellow is the command that used:
does the user have access to that share? check the relevant messages in 'dmesg'

what do you mean? do you want to have it as datastore in pbs? or do you want to make pve "vzdump" backups onto it ?
I think according to the needs Ill have to use as a Datastore
1631605712891.png
What I want to do is to be to backup my vms incrementally to NAS which will be Datastore / vzdump, however according to your question "do you want to make pve "vzdump" backups onto it " I am not sure what will do the job that I am trying to. could please help me on that?

does the user have access to that share? check the relevant messages in 'dmesg'
Yes I gave read/write right to the user. Ill check that and will let you know about it.

Last edited:
no that will not work that way, if you want pbs for backups, you first have to install pbs onto a machine (bare-metal, vm, etc) . there you can configure your datastore
if you directly want to use the nas, you have to add it either as 'nfs' or 'cifs' and make 'classic' vzdump backups

no that will not work that way, if you want pbs for backups, you first have to install pbs onto a machine (bare-metal, vm, etc) . there you can configure your datastore
if you directly want to use the nas, you have to add it either as 'nfs' or 'cifs' and make 'classic' vzdump backups

I do already have the PBS installed on a VM and this is where I am trying to add NAS to?
1631607612263.pngMy plan is to add NAS as a Datastore for the incremental backups here, am I doing it right or not?

as i said, using a network storage as a datastore is not recommended, but if you really want to do that, you have to mount the nas on the pbs (via linux methods, eg fstab) create a new datastore on the pbs with the correct path (where you mounted the nas) and then add the pbs in pve

as i said, using a network storage as a datastore is not recommended,
Yes, I remember you mentioned that in your first comment. In fact I am trying to test the solution if it does all what I am looking for, then I can have a dedicated server which will manage the backups.

but if you really want to do that, you have to mount the nas on the pbs (via linux methods, eg fstab) create a new datastore on the pbs with the correct path (where you mounted the nas) and then add the pbs in pve

OK at this point once I'll add the PBS in PVE then the backup are incremental automatically or what? because I did not see the incremental option yet, while trying to add PBS in PVE!

Again and again I really appreciated you great support :)

backups in pbs are deduplicated, and the chunks are sent incrementally where possible

@dcsapak I managed to mount the NAS to the PBS, now all what I want to be sure about it. is the incremental or not ? from what I read about it, it should be. but when you said that ↓↓↓

1631625636855.png

I am a bit confused I want to be sure that as well.

From what read about it on FAQ they said the backup are sent incremental and data is duplicated on the server.

1631625836395.png

https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/faq.html

Thank you so much for the help :)

if you make a backup of a guest for the first time, all chunks are sent to the server (even if he has them already)
if there is already a backup of the same guest, only the changed chunks are sent to the server

if you make a backup of a guest for the first time, all chunks are sent to the server (even if he has them already)
if there is already a backup of the same guest, only the changed chunks are sent to the server

So what you are trying to say some how is a sort of incremental backups, I mean for the first time a full backup is made then it only backups the changed chunks, right?

Another question concerning the second time backup can we see the changed chunks separately or not ? I need to know that as well so that I can calculate Disk space needs.

So what you are trying to say some how is a sort of incremental backups, I mean for the first time a full backup is made then it only backups the changed chunks, right?
yes

Another question concerning the second time backup can we see the changed chunks separately or not ? I need to know that as well so that I can calculate Disk space needs.
you can see it in the backup task log and the backup manifest, but it is not shown in the web ui of pve/pbs at the moment
note that it only has limited value, since the chunks are deduplicated across the datastore, it will also show up if the client sent the chunk although the server had it already from a different guest and it did not use additional disk space

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!