Adding shared storage to proxmox cluster nodes

jamil-rahman

Sep 16, 2020
I have several physical servers which all are configured in same proxmox cluster. I'm facing problem in adding storage which needs to be shared between all nodes.

I have Fiber-channel based SAN storage system, and from that, normally a LUN needs to be created which can be exported to many host servers.

So, here I have created 1 LUN (virtual volume) which exported to all of the nodes in proxmox cluster. I want to add that created LUN as shared storage in PVE so that all nodes can access that storage simultineously, and compute migration can be done easily without storage migration. I'm badly seeking for your suggestion.

N.B: I have tried CephFS, but Ceph is not compatible with disks backed by a hardware RAID controller. So, Ceph is not suitable for me.

Dear UdoB,

Thanks for your reply. I have already read out this guide, and found no clue regarding my case. Anyway, I have been using proxmox VE since 2019 using directory based storage which was not shared based. When I migrate 1 VM to another nodes, that VM is migrated with its storage also which is not exceptable in virtualization environment. Now we are planning to deploy proxmox VE with full fledge.

I need help in configuring shared storage in my case where a LUN/ storage is being accessible by all nodes through my SAN connectivity, but logically proxmox VE can't manage and I think it needs to be configured. When I run lsblk command on all nodes, they all show the same device as I expected.

Which storage type needs to be configured in my case?? Ceph and zfs is not compatible for backend RAID. So, they are unmarked in my case.

Is it possible to get my requirement with lvm??

I need help in configuring shared storage in my case where a LUN/ storage is being accessible by all nodes through my SAN connectivity, but logically proxmox VE can't manage and I think it needs to be configured. When I run lsblk command on all nodes, they all show the same device as I expected.
Create an LVM physical volume, a volume group and add it to your custer and mark the shared option. Make sure you have running and configured multipath for best availability.

Create an LVM physical volume, a volume group and add it to your custer and mark the shared option. Make sure you have running and configured multipath for best availability.
Yes, it works...thank you so much. I really appreciate your response...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!