adding node to cluster: "local node address: cannot use IP" error

florian924

Aug 20, 2019
Hi,
I'm trying to setup a proxmox cluster. I have two Server at Hetzner and set them up. Everything seems to be fine.

I used a bridged configuration:

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address <
IP>
netmask 255.255.255.255
pointopoint <Gateway>
gateway <Gateway>
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 1
bridge_hello 2
bridge_maxage 12

When I try to add the node to the cluster the following error occurs:
* local node address: cannot use IP '<IP>', it must be configured exactly once on local node!

This error occurs in GUI and CLI.

I couldn't find anything in the documentation to solve this

Thank you for your help

Best

I have exactly the same problem (proxmox 6) and i posted just before finding this thread.
Topoldo

In my case I have configured the IP to 10.0.40.50 but then changed the IP to 10.0.10.50.
While the node already had new IP (10.0.10.50), when trying to join cluster it was throwing the following:

detected the following error(s):
* local node address: cannot use IP '10.0.40.50', not found on local node!

TASK ERROR: Check if node may join a cluster failed!

When changing the IP of the box it seems that you have to manually change the /etc/hosts entry as well.

Once I did this, I could successfully join the cluster

Reactions: carter69
check the /etc/hosts entry for your server, a typo in that file was my problem

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!