Adding new HDD's

vayana

Sep 20, 2012
Hello,

I'm a complete noob to linux, and just can't figure out how to add 2 new HDD's to store my VM's on.
What I want to do can't be too hard, but every time I try to follow instructions from the internet, it doesn't match with what I get to see on my screen. I already installed proxmox ve to HDD 1. Preferably I'd want to add 2 1TB drives as RAID1, but just having the 2 drives available and distinguishable would be great. eventually I want to use openVZ and run multiple ClearOS VM's with a postgres DB in a cluster. But to start of with, just getting 1 server running 1 standalone VM on a separate HDD would be great.

This, this and this are amongst the things I've tried. But like most explanations on linux-based solutions, the answers just leave me more puzzled. Just do this or that using terminology I've never heard before doesn't make it easier. (Same goes for the instruction videos on how to install: If you already know how to create/link NFS/scsi shared drives, and use a mounted cd with VIRTIO drivers to use during installation; I doubt that you need a video explaining how to install Windows on a KVM.)

If I do fdisk -l from the console, I don't get sda or sdb, but: Disk /dev/dm-2 doesn't contain a valid partition table
(also the fdisk command generates too much text to fit my screen, so I don't get to read most of it; just the bottom part)

Then all attempts to partition/mount the drive aren't successful either, as it won't show up under storage in the webpanel.
Also at boot, some things seem to have "failed" (mount drive X), but again it's too fast to read.
I would really appreciate it to get a detailed explanation, or some useful links. As a noob, I don't know how to best phrase my question to google, but this doesn't get me very far either.

Any help is much appreciated, Cheers

Hello,

I'm a complete noob to linux, and just can't figure out how to add 2 new HDD's to store my VM's on.
What I want to do can't be too hard, but every time I try to follow instructions from the internet, it doesn't match with what I get to see on my screen. I already installed proxmox ve to HDD 1. Preferably I'd want to add 2 1TB drives as RAID1, but just having the 2 drives available and distinguishable would be great. eventually I want to use openVZ and run multiple ClearOS VM's with a postgres DB in a cluster. But to start of with, just getting 1 server running 1 standalone VM on a separate HDD would be great.

This, this and this are amongst the things I've tried. But like most explanations on linux-based solutions, the answers just leave me more puzzled. Just do this or that using terminology I've never heard before doesn't make it easier. (Same goes for the instruction videos on how to install: If you already know how to create/link NFS/scsi shared drives, and use a mounted cd with VIRTIO drivers to use during installation; I doubt that you need a video explaining how to install Windows on a KVM.)

If I do fdisk -l from the console, I don't get sda or sdb, but: Disk /dev/dm-2 doesn't contain a valid partition table
(also the fdisk command generates too much text to fit my screen, so I don't get to read most of it; just the bottom part)

Then all attempts to partition/mount the drive aren't successful either, as it won't show up under storage in the webpanel.
Also at boot, some things seem to have "failed" (mount drive X), but again it's too fast to read.
I would really appreciate it to get a detailed explanation, or some useful links. As a noob, I don't know how to best phrase my question to google, but this doesn't get me very far either.

Any help is much appreciated, Cheers
Hi,
use an ssh-session (Mac can ssh - windows with putty) to the pve-host. Than you can scroll the terminal-windows.

There are a lot of posts about a second disk (also in the pve1.x-forum - this is also valid with 2.x) I have wrote about this again and again... try the search-function of the forum.

BTW: If you want to use raid1 with software-raid it's not supported by pve (but many people used successfully). Recommended is an hardware raid controller.

Udo

Thanx Udo, will log on with ssh to make it scrollable.
Other than that, I'm still struggling with the disk-setup.

I've booted the server with a linux-distro that has gui, so I could then select the disks and format them to ext4.
I've then rebooted back in to ve, and managed to create the lvm-groups to use them individually for installation.

nevertheless, I still havent figured out how to proceed next....
I'll get a hw raid-controller for the drives btw.

I think this software has great potential, but I can't keep on trying endlessly.
The other options is vbox, but I'm not too happy with that, or vmware which is the easiest to set up out of the box.

I wouldn't mind getting a paid subscription later on, but I'd have to make sure I can deploy such setups to my customers first.
Without detailed information, and a rich knowledgebase like that available with ClearOS, I'll most likely drop further investigations soon if I can't get it to work the way I want. A shame, cause I'd love to know how to use it.

Thanx Udo, will log on with ssh to make it scrollable.
Other than that, I'm still struggling with the disk-setup.

I've booted the server with a linux-distro that has gui, so I could then select the disks and format them to ext4.
I've then rebooted back in to ve, and managed to create the lvm-groups to use them individually for installation.

Hi,
if you expand an volume group you don't need an filesystem (ext4) before - this will gone during expansion.

For expanding the volumegroup see here: http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/7335-Extend-LVM?p=41858#post41858 or here: http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/6180-2-hard-drives?p=35137#post35137

BTW. this is normal linux doing - so you can also use hints in normal linux-forums (or use an linux-book about system-administration).

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!